Vienna as base for triple/belgian ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am out of pilsen and two row right now....have 40 pounds of vienna to burn though. Also, have a few packs of belgian wit, trappist high grav and belgian saison yeast sitting around. So, I am thinking something like this

20 pounds vienna
4 pounds clear inverted sugar
1 oz magnum at 60
2 oz glacier at 5
mash at 149

will the vienna totally throw this beer out of line? I am thinking it could be a nice beer, but I have been wrong before

I got good result with vienna as a base malt in dubbel (+ some sugar and pinch of Special B). Proven by 3rd place in regional competition. :)

I think it would turn out great, just don't plan on entering any competitions. FWIW, I've used Vienna as the base for a saison with a couple of pounds of rye to round out the grain bill and loved it.

I think it would turn out great, just don't plan on entering any competitions. FWIW, I've used Vienna as the base for a saison with a couple of pounds of rye to round out the grain bill and loved it.

Nice! I have four pounds of rye sitting around as well.

I ended up making exactly 2 pounds and 12 ounces of clear inverted sugar rocks (wife will be happy when she finds all sugar in house is gone), and today i will decide on yeast strain.

I may end up making this a multigrain, belgian style ale of sorts to give the wyeast belgian saison strain its first spin at my place.

16 vienna
3 rye
1 oats
2 #12 oz clear candi rocks
20 IBU magnum at 60
Boat load of glacier at flameout
Belgian saison yeast

Pitch at 70, ferment at 70 for 3-4 days and then ramp this baby up into the eighties (or however warm my garage is).

I made the following brew yesterday, I will keep everybody posted:

11 gallons to fermenter
16 pounds vienna
2 pounds 10 oz oats
2 pounds 12 oz clean candi sugar
1.4 oz magnum @ 60
1 oz glacier at 15
1.5 oz glacier flameout
1 oz summit whirlpool @180 degrees (shooting for orange/fruit aroma/flavor)
mashed overnight at 149 degrees (maximum fermentability)
Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison)
OG = 1.057
FG = 1.007 or less (I hope)

Chilled wort to 75 degrees and I pitched the entire 3 liter starter directly off of the stir plate and set the fermenter in my garage at 83 degrees. Within 2 hours I had signs of fermetation and after 5 hours it was full blown. Now, about 20 hours later we are still cruising along.

Cool, I'm going to be doing a semi-funky Saison with Vienna as a base this week, since I happened to have a bunch of Vienna on hand. I'll be starting a sour mash probably tomorrow with the intent to brew on Thurs or Fri.

Fwiw, I'm fairly certain Watou Tripel (brewed by St Bernardus) uses at least some Vienna. Tastes like it anyway...
That is to say I'm not sure it would be entirely out of style for a tripel, as long as the flavour profile doesn't just take over the beer. I find it adds a nice malty character to the beer, while keeping it light. Very tasty end result.
Don't quote me on that; I'm no scientologist

This beer was one the best i have made. 3724 is a magical yeast if you keep it warm. I put glacier dry hops in the keg too. By the numbers it was a dry beer( 1.003) but it didnt taste that way. It was fragrant, fruity, floral, malty and dry all in one shot. A slight sourness on the finish.

Fwiw, I'm fairly certain Watou Tripel (brewed by St Bernardus) uses at least some Vienna. Tastes like it anyway...
That is to say I'm not sure it would be entirely out of style for a tripel, as long as the flavour profile doesn't just take over the beer. I find it adds a nice malty character to the beer, while keeping it light. Very tasty end result.
Don't quote me on that; I'm no scientologist

I thought this thread was dead 2 years ago.

Bringing it back.

I'm making a wedding beer for a friend. I'll be using local Vienna malt and table sugar with a blend of hops (Willamette for bittering, US golding for flavor, and cascade for aroma).

Mashing at 148. Estimated OG of 1.071 with WLP565 Saison I. Aiming for 90% AA which gets me to 1.004 and 9% ABV.

This will also be my first beer using pure oxygen so that is exciting as well.

Back