Serious problem now that my keg is polished!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazydave

Reaction score
Now I can see the dents! :eek:

Keg1.jpg

I am going to say it is a abortion but would be willing to take it off your hands.

No that looks awesome man. I cannot even think of how many hours you spent making it look that good

If youre going for a showpiece type of brewery I'd be more than happy to take that dented keg off youre hands for say......$50 bucks..........seriously though the thing is f'ing awesome, thats alot of work. It's playoff time and i at first glance thought it was Lord stanley's Cup.

I spent about 4-5 hours total, over two days. Wasn't as bad as I was thinking it'd be though.

Here's what it looked like before.
Keg3.jpg

This was about 2 hours in, just before I switched to polishing compound.
Keg2.jpg

I spent so much time on mine. Every time I thought I was "finished", I decided I could make it better and bam I'm polishing again.

Looks great by the way. They do stay cleaner, and are easier to clean, when polished. Plus, big boost in SAF (spousal approval factor).

What was your process? I'd like to do that.

I pretty much went with Bobby_m's tutorial on it. You can find that here http://www.suebob.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:polishing&catid=37:hardwareprojects&Itemid=64

I will say that unless you have some really bad dings, you can probably skip the medium pad and go straight to the light one. Or just hit the worst spots with the medium and do the rest with the light.
And use pressure with the polishing compounds, enough to slow the angle grinder down.

If you follow that, and just take your time on it, it comes out pretty sweet. I found myself working a small area at a time before moving on. And do your back a favor and clamp it to something that's tall enough so you're not bending over.

Lasty, wear a dust mask, and do it outside, or at least close an area off. Pretty much everything in my garage has a nice layer of black funk on it now. And I did the compound steps outside even!

One more thing I'll add as well. I found a cheap backing pad at Harbor Frieght for $2.99. Much cheaper than the Gator Grit one. If you use this, be prepared to buy more of the cloth polishing pads as the grooves on it tend to wear the pad out faster.

In the end, I ended up getting the Gator Grit one and I was able to keep the same pad for a lot longer.

I spent so much time on mine. Every time I thought I was "finished", I decided I could make it better and bam I'm polishing again.

Looks great by the way. They do stay cleaner, and are easier to clean, when polished. Plus, big boost in SAF (spousal approval factor).

True! SAF-ty first.

Ironically my wife's comment was "why? seems like a waste of time..."
She is pretty amazed at the difference though.

I have two more to convert and polish now. I'm sure she'll be thrilled when I start on those also!

Back