oxy clean concentration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great question and I'd love to hear people's answers. For bottle soaking, I've been suing one scoop per four or five gallons (in a big rectangular cooler). For soaking carboys, I usually use about the same - one scoop for five or six gallons, depending on the carboy. Of course, I have no idea what the volume or weight of a "scoop" is :eek:

1 ounce of honest to goodness OxiClean Free per 5 gallons of very hot water to soak off labels, and soak a carboy. Never had problems with labels basically falling off, or a krausen disintegrating on its own.

I used the Sun brand knockoff, and it took 3 - 4 times as much to achieve a fraction of the effectiveness. I'm sticking with the real deal from here on out.

This has to be the most unscientific aspect of my brewing obsession. I just dump about a scoop in no matter what the volume. Which means I way over do it sometimes. Probably not the best thing.

I just got my first bucket of oxyclean today. It doesn't have directions for cleaning beer making equipment, but it does give a few examples. On the bucket, it says 1/2 to 1 scoop per gallon for soaking (with a picture of a shirt soaking), and 1/4-1 scoop per gallon for outdoor use (it gives decks as an example).

My scooper has markings that show a full scoop is four onces. I went with 2.5 scoops for each carboy/fermenter, then I used a bit more at the recommended levels to try it one some carpet stains and a messy stove. The 3.5lb bucket is almost gone.

I've been using Sun Cleaner from Walmart. I use two scoops per five gallons, but I have been experimenting with less. Seems to work.

is oxyclean, just oxyclean? i got some stuff from costco for my laundry and it seems like its for that. could i use it for brewing too?

is oxyclean, just oxyclean? i got some stuff from costco for my laundry and it seems like its for that. could i use it for brewing too?

Look on the ingredients section of the label. If it says sodium carbonate, sodium percarbonate, it's straight oxyclean.

I use Oxifree and use about 1/8 to 1/4 scoop at most per five gallons of water, I do let stuff soak, but I find the equipment rinses easier. Also for an overnight soak in a carboy with the same amount it gets all but the most stubborn krausen off and I never have a problem with the white crust that some people have.

Kazi

I just kind of eyeball the container I'm putting it in, condsider what I'm trying to do with the application and then guess as to the proper amount. It's a tried and true method that has worked well for me!:mug:

Back