choosing between 3 yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubbs5150

Reaction score
Im brewing soon using a grain bill for a wit beer spicing with coriander and bitter orange. my question is i have three yeasts at home to choose from. Wyeast 1272, white labs 380 hefe 4, and safale wb 06. i was looking for something close to a wit for the summer, or that would let the spice come out. Would the hefe yeast flavors over power the spice? is 1272 gonna leave me with a clean ale? Any thoughts.

I did a Bavarian Hefe [attempt] with wb-06, and it did not produce the distinctive banana flavors I was looking for, but I did get some clove spiciness. Therefore, along with that flavor, it may serve you well given your added spices, especially if you're looking for simplicity, since it's dry. I have no experience with the other two yeasts.

Not one of those yeast strains are appropriate for a wit, in my opinion. I like WLP400, WY3944 and WY3463.

Hefe 4 is strong and spicy - great for a hefe. If it were me, I'd leave out the coriander and orange from the wit to ferment with the Hefe 4. That's if you have to brew with what you have; obviously best option would be to obtain the right yeast to make sure you get the beer you want/expect.

-OCD

wit is not a hefe, I'd use WLP400, or, in leau of that, culture up some yeast from a hoegaarden, should be the same strain as the WlP400

wit is not a hefe, I'd use WLP400, or, in leau of that, culture up some yeast from a hoegaarden, should be the same strain as the WlP400

Is hoegaarden a good bottle to culture from? Fermenting strain?

-OCD

Not sure if you're in MI Stubbs, but I have some freshly washed WLP400 that I'd donate to the cause if you can make starters.

And beerocd, hoegaarden is the measuring stick for wits, so I'd say that the yeast in there would be a good one to culture. I think that WLP400 is the same strain though.

And beerocd, hoegaarden is the measuring stick for wits, so I'd say that the yeast in there would be a good one to culture. I think that WLP400 is the same strain though.

I get that. I get that a wit is unmalted wheat and hefe is malted wheat. I get that Hefe yeast doesn't make it a Wit and they are not interchangeable. I answered the OP's simple question within his parameters; going out and buying yeast wasn't an option and neither was taking a week to culture yeast from beer that would cost him about as much as buying the yeast in the first place.

I then asked a separate simple question: Is the yeast in the bottle the fermenting strain?

-OCD

:off: I find condescension irritating.

fella's. thanks for the input... lets just say i'm not brewing a wit....i brewed 10 gallons with the spices. split the wort into two carboys..one with 1272 fermenting at 68 and one with fermentis wb o6 wheat yeast fermenting at 60 degrees. and will just see what happens. BUT, the next time i will plan better and get a wit yeast. Does anyone know if new belgiums mothership wit bottle yeast is something u can culture?

Back