Maui airline folds, vacation in the air

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I am/was ticketed to go to Maui with my family next month but our airlines just went belly up, so now I am trying to see what we can do. I am on hold with some guy in who knows where, so wish me luck!

Any Maui brewers out there?

Bummer. I hope you used a credit card to pay for those tickets and not a debit card. You can get your money back pretty easy, but it looks like the bigger problem is getting to Maui.

Hopefully one of the other airlines honors Aloha's tickets.

Providing you get your money back, fly into Oahu on one of the major airlines and then travel to Maui on Go Airlines. They are decent, and cheap.

Ouchee, been hearing about this airline stuff on the radio. My girlfriend is from Oahu but she does not share my interest in brewing. She's always telling me that the Big Island is the best vacation spot (mainly because it's less populated with tourists).

I heard on the news that there are actually people stuck in hawaii because they have no way of getting off the island. Well, i guess not stuck, because they could pony up the money for another ticket.

PeteOz77 said:
Hawaii is an Australia Wannebee ;)

+1. Those Aussie volcanoes are awesome!

Oh, wait... ;)

(and don't give me Heard Island, which would be roughly akin to calling LA and San Francisco part of the Hawaii experience)

That said (and having been to both) I'd go back to Australia 5 times before I'd think about going back to Hawaii.

That sucks, BP.

Technically you vacation is grounded and not "up-in-the-air".

Are your travel dates flexible?

Stay away from Oceanic.

McKBrew said:
...Go Airlines. They are decent, and cheap.

That's exactely why the other airline went hops. Go gets his pushed from its parent company .... local airlines can't compete
:off:

Hawaiian Airlines i giving a limited number of vouchers for people who purchased tickets through Aloha. The local news says that if you paid cash then you will have to get your money through a bankrutcy court.

Be sure to check out Maui Brewing while your there. Hope everything works out.

I am afraid we a screwed as far as the trip goes. I believe we will get our money back because it is on a card, but that is about it. I think I'll go make some kind of boat drink and call it good!

I do get to go to Cuba in June however!

When my mom was in Peru once(she's vice pres. of a healthcare organization that operates down there), AeroPeru went bankrupt and they were stuck in Iquitos for 2 weeks before things got worked out to get them to Lima to fly home.

Bike N Brew said:
+1. Those Aussie volcanoes are awesome!

Oh, wait... ;)

(and don't give me Heard Island, which would be roughly akin to calling LA and San Francisco part of the Hawaii experience)

That said (and having been to both) I'd go back to Australia 5 times before I'd think about going back to Hawaii.

I have done a LOT of travelling, and SWMBO and I LOVE the beach. THIS PLACE is less than 3 hours from our house (and we have a beach house there) and I think it is one of the most amazing places I have been to.

I have been to beaches in Malysia, Fiji, Thailand, Hawaii, California, Florida etc and Far North Queansland (Northern Australia) has the most beautiful beaches and reefs I have ever seen. (Don't tell SWMBO, but half the reason I moved to AUS was for the amazing beaches and small coastal towns)

I just got back from Honolulu, Oahu today. I flew American.

We flew Aloha Airlines to the Big Island (for the volcano, etc.), but we couldn't get too close because of the sulfur emissions...2 days later they're TU. Talk about lucky.

AFAIK, GO! was honoring Aloha tickets up until Thursday (yesterday).

Sorry to hear about your trip. Bummer.:mad:

We are going. Visa is getting our money back, booked tickets at nearly the same price with United. Same dates, nearly the same schedule.

As far a Cuba and legal travel, I have a travel license, so it is legal!

I am going to the islands for the summer!

My friend just had the same thing happen to her with SkyBus. She flew up to New Hampshire, and before her flight back they declared bankruptcy and cancelled all flights. Luckily, she was able to get a flight on another airline.

Jim Karr said:
PeteOz, you ain't seen a cool beach 'til you've seen Lake Michigan from the west shoreline of Michigan...........fresh water, no sharks................:ban:

I have seen Lake Michigan from the western shoreline! Of course it was the winter of 1990-1991, and it was covered in snow. I used to travel from Minnesota to UP to snowmobile when we didn't have enough snow in MN. Lake Effects snow is AWESOME!:rockin: We used to stay at the Royal Motel in Ironwood.

What's the fun of swimming in water that doesn't have things in it that can KILL you? C'mon! take a chance.. live a little:mug:

Back