Using an air compressor to aerate in a carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpha224

Reaction score
My simple question is: Can it be done? I have a pretty decent sized air compressor in my garage, a portable compressed air tank, and a large wand-like air "broom". And if it can, what pressure should I put in the tank?

I wouldn't. I'd be afraid of petroleum-based oil getting aerosoled into the wort. I guess you could use a hepa filter, but anything past that would probably have to be degreased.

My simple question is: Can it be done?

Can it be done? Yes.

Should it be done? No.

Go get yourself a wine whip if you need to aerate / mix. It attaches to a cordless drill.

1408.jpg

i have never aerated my juice when making cider, it isn't boiled so there's plenty of oxygen

I think you're over thinking it. Just pour some juice out of the bottle into your fermenter, put the lid back on the bottle and shake the heck out it. This will introduce plenty of oxygen. Pour the shaken juice into the fermenter and you'll be fine.

I think you're over thinking it. Just pour some juice out of the bottle into your fermenter, put the lid back on the bottle and shake the heck out it. This will introduce plenty of oxygen. Pour the shaken juice into the fermenter and you'll be fine.

This is all I've done. Works perfectly fine.

The topic of the thread isn't about what works, we all have methods that work, its about the possibility of using an air compressor as an additional method to aerate wort.

The topic of the thread isn't about what works, we all have methods that work, its about the possibility of using an air compressor as an additional method to aerate wort.

I think the majority of the posts in this thread have suggested that using a compressor is a bad idea, and have suggested simpler methods that will achieve the aeration goal.

Since the OP has not responded to this thread in 10 months, maybe he came to that conclusion too.

I think the majority of the posts in this thread have suggested that using a compressor is a bad idea, and have suggested simpler methods that will achieve the aeration goal.

Since the OP has not responded to this thread in 10 months, maybe he came to that conclusion too.

I did, come to the same conclusion that is, and decided to not use the air compressor

Back