Fermentation never started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthoodrider

Reaction score
I assembled my first batch of Mead last Saturday 3/2 and fermentation has not begun yet 3/5 at 6am (must is at 68deg F). I am concerned and not sure the best approach to fixing at this point. Recipe used was 17lbs of Clover honey and 4gal water. Used White Labs WLP720 Sweet Mead/Wine Yeast, 2 tsp of Nutrient and 2 tsp of energizer. The recipe called for Lavlin D47 but I couldn't find it. Should I have not used the same energizer and nutrient with the liquid yeast? Suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Fresher yeast. Check the dates on the packets/vials and re-pitch. Follow any hydration instructions prior to pitching.

Everything mentioned there sounds fine. Give it a little time. What indicates that fermentation has not started? Lack of air lock bubbles is commonly due to a poor seal.

The lack of air lock activity has me thinking fermentation has not started. I was expecting more vigorous perking.

Unless the yeast was over a year old I'm sure it's fine. It might be a little slow to start if it is old, but it will take off. If there is any activity you are fine. If there is no activity take a look inside to see if you have any bubbles on the surface.

For details of how yeast stores over time see this:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/refrigeration-effects-on-yeast-viability.html

and this more recent experiment:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/03/side-by-side-starters-4-of-4.html

I was interested in doing the staggered nutrient method. Will adding additional nutrients before visible fermentation cause undesirable effects/flavors?

Started a batch of mead 3/3 I did not have any activity last night so I took a reading start SG was 1.118 when I took the reading last night it was at 1.102.

Checked my SG last night and it showed fermentation was taking place. OG was 1.094 and the reading last night was 1.042 which seemed a little low for 3 days into fermenting. I added a 1/2tsp of ferment k and stirred. My recipe called for an OG of 1.110-1.120 and finishing at 1.010. Will this batch turn out dryer than normal because of the low OG?

I doubt it'll finish too much lower than 1.010- pretty low considering the OG. Time will tell, though. Assuming you didn't add extra glucose or table sugar or something you should be okay.. but I'm certainly not any authority here haha... we'll see

Back