Top cropping storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gduck

Reaction score
I've only recently started top cropping my yeast and wanted to know of those people who do it how they store it and how long they've stored it before? I'm not trying to store it for months or anything, but am curious to know if I could keep it for a couple of weeks.

Right now I skim the krausen in to a sanitized flask, cover it with sanitized foil and put it in the fridge until the brew day. I do cover it with a tiny bit of the fermenting beer. Both times I've done it so far I was brewing again just a couple of days later and it worked brilliantly both times.

So would doing this be okay for a week or two between harvesting and brewing? Or is there some way to store them that would work better if I was waiting a couple of weeks between brews?

You should have no problem, just pitch the correct amount when ready, I've stored yeast in the fridge in a jar (washed and/or unwashed) for years without a problem, you just have to account for the poor souls that may not have survived the trip. Or, of course you can make a starter.

Viability drops off pretty quickly after a week or so. A starter is definitely recommended. MrMalty and Yeastcalc can help you estimate your viability.

@COLObrewer:
Do you have any thoughts on periodically feeding stored yeast with a starter, maybe every 6-8 weeks, and then popping it back in the fridge? Aside from the sanitation question, it doesn't seem like a full "generation", the point isn't really to up the number of yeast but to top off their glycogen.

"Years" is quite a while -- no problem with off smells from autolysis?

Thanks for the replies. Generally I plan to use them within a week of top cropping at the most. Just wanted to know if I had to hold off for a week if that would be acceptable. Definitely sounds like I'll do a starter for it, especially if it's been in the fridge for over a week to make sure everything is okay and ready to ferment.

@COLObrewer:
Do you have any thoughts on periodically feeding stored yeast with a starter, maybe every 6-8 weeks, and then popping it back in the fridge? Aside from the sanitation question, it doesn't seem like a full "generation", the point isn't really to up the number of yeast but to top off their glycogen.

"Years" is quite a while -- no problem with off smells from autolysis?

Have never fed any as they were being stored, seems like a waste since you can use the same "feed" to make a starter with them as needed?

If I smell something "off" I make a starter, sometimes. They always seem to work, starter or not, when you pitch enough.

Latest posts

Back