Smack Pack Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troythebrewer

Reaction score
Bought A honey weizen kit, the intructions say to Smack it a few days before brewing(So I did) Thursday. I want to brew on Saturday will the yeast be ok till then? Should I just keep it stored at amb. of 70F?

The MFg. only says to smack it at least 3 hours before brewing.

Thanks for any help in advance.

The Smack Pack is there to check the viability of the yeast. If it swells then you know it's good. If it was me, I'd store it in the fridge and take it out when pitching into your wort. Some people think the yeast should be at or near pitching temps so as to not shock the yeast but I am a proponent of cold pitching and take my yeast out just before pitching.

Keep it in the fridge until you start brewing on Saturday, then remove it and let it warm up to pitching temps.

I smacked mine last night and it was swelled after 3 hours... it was in my fridge for 3 weeks... I pitched a 1 litre starter last night...hoping for the best...

starter.jpg

40watt said:
I would loosen or remove the lid from that jar. Covering with foil would work fine.

Uh huh! An the yeast will most certainly be ok.

Back