Lactobacillus delbrueckii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I pitched some l. delbrueckii into unfermented, unhopped wort and have it sitting in a glass jug in a heated water bath at 85 degrees. It's been two days and I see no signs of anything. What is going on? Will I see any visible signs?

Also, what is the difference between delbrueckii and brevus?

I'm not sure if this strain produces Co2 or not. I use it in cheese making to acidify the milk and I've never seen any signs of it producing Co2.

My wyeast lacto starter sat for 2 weeks in a pint of apple juice. It didn't show much activity at all, but showed visible growth at the end of the 2 weeks. Upon pitching it in 5.5 gallons of Berliner weisse wort (no yeast added at this point) it was bubbling vigorously, like seltzer vigorously, to the point where I could hear it. I only used it that time, but let it ride for a week or two at elevated temps and then pitch.

My wyeast lacto starter sat for 2 weeks in a pint of apple juice. It didn't show much activity at all, but showed visible growth at the end of the 2 weeks. Upon pitching it in 5.5 gallons of Berliner weisse wort (no yeast added at this point) it was bubbling vigorously, like seltzer vigorously, to the point where I could hear it. I only used it that time, but let it ride for a week or two at elevated temps and then pitch.

Interesting. I've heard that it produces CO2, sounds like there is no mistaking it. Did any crud form on the surface?

I believe Delbruekii is the white labs strain and it does not produce alcohol whereas the Brevus is Wyeast and it does.

Take the temperature up to 110-120. Give it a couple of days at that temperature. I don't know if you will get CO2 production but you'll definitely get some form of krausen.

Take the temperature up to 110-120. Give it a couple of days at that temperature. I don't know if you will get CO2 production but you'll definitely get some form of krausen.

Well it started showing the faintest signs of krausen last night. I woke up this morning and it had a thick layer of krausen on it. I'm wondering whether it is wild yeast. I was pretty good about sanitation, but it looks like yeast krausen. Is that normal?

rexbanner said:
Interesting. I've heard that it produces CO2, sounds like there is no mistaking it. Did any crud form on the surface?

There was buildup on the surface, but it all settled out post fermentation. Nothing like a pellicle or anything, just looked like trub buildup.

Cool. And if in fact there is no wild yeast, then delbrueckii definitely makes CO2.

what RAM said - LD is homofermentive, doesn't make ethanol but i don't know about it producing CO2. to my small human brain i'm thinking it must as sugar is C6 and lactic acid is C3... the other 3 has to go somewhere and it makes sense that at least 1 of it goes to CO2. if not more than one molecule...

Well I just tasted a sample after a week of dosing the wort and keeping it at 87. It is tart with a bad smell that seems to also affect the taste. Hopefully these compounds will go away after I ferment it down with Brett.

You should be fine. I just did a lacto fermented wit that was unhopped and unboiled for a portion of the batch. The assy smell and rotten corn flavor will go away with time. I think the flavor and smell is due to an EXTREME level of diacetyl and a couple other compound. I have everything mentioned that I dealt with so far in the Lacambre Wit thread.

Back