Pumpkin IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicineMan

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a pumpkin IPA for the holidays. I thought of taking an IPA recipe and adding the pumpkin and spices. How do you think this would turn out, or should I build a recipe around the pumpkin? Thanks for the help.

Not sure how the spices would react with the usual "C" hops used in IPA's. Unless maybe you also used some German spicy hops with the c hops somehow. Just keep the "C" hops minimal,while maybe letting the spicy German hops stand out a bit more?...

Have to agree, the hopping is wrong for a pumpkin ale. The grain bill for an IPA might be useable if you up the crystal a little.

That's why I thought the spicy German noble hops would be better. Sort of highlighting the spices & pumpkin used. Then,maybe prime with demerara sugar in 2C of boiled water with a tsp or 2 of vanilla mixed in to bulk prime.

Generally spiced and fruit beers are limited to just bittering hops. Another option would be to drop the spices and just add the pumpkin to an IPA or APA recipe.

Well,if it were me,I'd use 1oz each of Perle & Haulertauer hops. Keeping bittering to a minimum. Mainly late hop additions,as in hop bursting. Maybe 2tsp cinnamon,1tsp each fresh grated ginger & nutmeg. Vanilla optional. I'd also go for the classic amber orange color with a light,toasty malt profile to match the pumpkin somewhat. Where one doesn't overpower the other. The pumpkin would also give it a bit more color,in my understanding so far. :mug:I'm working on an extract punkin ale recipe myself for turkey day.

I was just thinking of maybe taking my duel purpose APA/IPA recipe & adding to that. Use the Sunset Gold APA recipe,& add the pumpkin & spices to that. It already uses spicy Perle & Haulertauer hops.

I was think of the using 2oz Santiam hops during the boil, 2oz for dry hopping and 1.5lbs crystal 15L, 8 lbs LME and maybe a vanilla bean or two in the secondary any thoughts?

If you're looking for an APA/IPA you'll need to cut the crystal in about half and bump the lovi up to about 40-60L. It's also pretty standard practice to add some Munich. You can either do a mini-mash with a pound or use 2 lbs Munich extract and 6 lbs LME.

I don't include late hop additions in herb/spice beers.

What about taking some organic pumpkin pie filling from a can or two and adding it to either the boil, or if doing all grain....the mash?

Latest posts

Back