Kona's Longboard Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swoods93631

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a newb to brewing and this forum. I have been reading my brains out and am learning a lot thanks to all you seasoned brewers on here.

SWMBO is a very picky beer drinker. She does not like most of what I drink and is not a fan of my first brew (even though I think is pretty good for my first). She really likes this longboard and it would be cool to brew something very similar for her when I get this brewing thing down a bit more.

I googled and googled this board and only found a few old threads (2008) that had some "best guess" recipes. I am hoping I have missed something and someone out there has a good Malt Extract clone recipe for the Longboard. Anyone?

Thanks!

Keep in mind you'll have to ferment a lager at much lower temps than room temp. I'd advise finding an ale she likes if you're just starting out. :)

+1 it is also going to take you 90-120 days to lager. What about something like a strawberry blonde or belgian white?

+1 it is also going to take you 90-120 days to lager. What about something like a strawberry blonde or belgian white?

Ya she is no fruit fan and not liking the Belgian White... Tried... I like, she doesnt.

Yes I have read a ton on Lagers and it will certainly not be easy as an Ale... But keep in mind here I am not looking to brew this soon. I want to track down a good clone recipe now instead of next spring or mid winter when I may be looking to do this. I have a few brews to get under my belt before I take this on. I just want to be ready when it is time KWIM...

Little trivia: There's three kinds of Konas: The made in Hawaii stuff is only kegged, and served on tap around the islands. There are two mainland breweries that brew the bottled versions for east and west coast mainland distribution. Ironically the bottled kona brews available in hawaii are made at the west coast mainland location and shipped back. Big difference in taste as you might expect.

I'm not much of a lager drinker, that's my disclaimer for the next statement: I think it tastes like a very subtle amount of fruit has been used, pineapple in my opinion. Because it is so light what do you want to bet they use locally grown cane sugar? Those are my two guesses.

Back