Should I add lactose to the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion2598

Reaction score
I made a robust porter a few weeks back. OG was 1.066 and FG is about 1.016. I mashed in at 154 so this is about what I would expect. However, the final product is a bit too bitter for my liking. Seems like a combination of hop bitterness and some bitterness from the dark grains. It's been in the keg for a few weeks under pressure, and needs to be drinkable for a party in a few weeks.

I am wondering if I can add some lactose to the final product to add some sweetness and balance it out a bit. Anyone ever done this after kegging? It is actually drinkable in its current state, so this is not a case of trying to make a bad beer tolerable, I just want a bit more balance.

Any hope?

Thanks,
Greg

I would just serve it colder than usual, that might help to surpress a bit of the bitterness and roastiness. Imo, adding stuff to it after it is done is sketchy at best.

The lactose will make it thicker, too, maybe too thick. If you made it "a few weeks back," it still may be a little bit green. Give it some more time; beer can change dramatically in just a couple of weeks, and harsh bitterness can mellow pretty quickly.

I wouldn't add lactose yet. You need to let porters and stouts (any beer with lots of dark, roasted grains) age a bit longer than other beers. You will be surprised in a month or two how smooth that beer is. If you add lactose now, it might end up cloying sweet later. So be patient and let it condition for a while, and if you are REALLY desparate, then add the lactose.

I'd get 8 ounces of lactose and wait until a few days before the event. If it hasn't mellowed, hit it with 4 ounces and check it. Add the rest, if necessary, but you probably won't need to.

Back