What is a mini-mash.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
I was looking at the Fat Tire clone from Austin HOme Brew and mini-mash is an option.

It also says the extract kit comes with specialty Grains in a muslim bag....Is steeping pre-crushed grains different from a mini-mash?

Hows that for a newb question...:cross:

In a mini-mash, you are using specialty grains PLUS a decent amount of "base" grains which you have to let sit at certain temps (ie mash) to extract fermentables. You then cover your aZZ by adding a reduced amount of extract compared to the extract kits.

Or you could just think of it as a Monster Mash's little brother.

Steeping grains is a bit different than a mini mash, but really similar. The mini mash kits from AHS have great instructions, and should be easy for you to do. Instead of just steeping grains, you are actually combining your specialty grains with some grains that need to be mashed to convert them. This means you can use a wider variety of grains. I used my bottling bucket (and a huge grain bag) as my mash tun for my mini mashes, and it worked ok. It didn't hold temperature very well- but I wrapped it with a blanket and it helped.
This is a really good write up of a PM:

http://www.homebrewmart.com/minimash.html

BrooZer said:
I was looking at the Fat Tire clone from Austin HOme Brew and mini-mash is an option.

It also says the extract kit comes with specialty Grains in a muslim bag....Is steeping pre-crushed grains different from a mini-mash?

Hows that for a newb question...:cross:

BTW, maybe this makes me an a-hole, but since there is potential for being greatly misunderstood or maybe pissing someone off, and since I've seen this in a couple different things you've posted, it's "muslin," not "muslim."

cweston said:
BTW, maybe this makes me an a-hole, but since there is potential for being greatly misunderstood or maybe pissing someone off, and since I've seen this in a couple different things you've posted, it's "muslin," not "muslim."

Hahaha... He's not the only one I've seen misuse the term... :drunk:

cweston said:

LMAO..Thanks for the heads up! I feel like an "a$$" bag.

But Really cweston...that is :off: .....J/K..

SilkkyBrew said:
Hahaha... He's not the only one I've seen misuse the term... :drunk:

I wish I could actually talk to people about brewing, I may have picked up on that. I also mispronounced trub and krausen numerous times until I read it spelled out.

BrooZer said:
I also mispronounced trub and krausen numerous times until I read it spelled out.
Dude, I've been brewing for 6+ years now and I just found out last week that it's pronounced TR00B. Freaking *******, be I.

Fiery Sword said:
Dude, I've been brewing for 6+ years now and I just found out last week that it's pronounced TR00B. Freaking *******, be I.

Im glad to see Im not the only one. Is still say t-r-u-b by accident sometimes.:p

cweston said:

Yes, that's why we had to go over there. We were running out of muslim bags :D

Kai

Latest posts

Back