Strong Phenol tasting Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schuwa

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long time reader, but but time poster.

I have a question or 2 that I am hoping someone can help me answer.

I just finished making a Belgian Witbeer, and used the Wyeast Wit strain. I realize this is supposed to be a "phenol" flavored yeast strain, but it is excessively strong. To the point where I cannot taste the spices nor the orange. I don't use bleach to sanitize...I use iodine based sanitizer. Any thoughts as to what I may have done wrong? Is it simply the yeast strain; this is so strong, I cannot imagine this is intentional.

This leads to my second question: I have done a few beers with bitter orange peels, usually using 1/2 to 1 ounce worth per 5 gallon batch. But I can barely ever taste it. I typically put it in at flame-out or with 5 minutes left in the boil, and strain it out, along with the hops. Should it go into the primary fermenter to give a better flavor?

Thanks for the help!

Josh

How long did it stay in primary? How long has it been bottled/kegged?
I made a wit with that same strain and it took 6 weeks in the bottle before it became good, and another 2 weeks later and it was great.

How long did it stay in primary? How long has it been bottled/kegged?
I made a wit with that same strain and it took 6 weeks in the bottle before it became good, and another 2 weeks later and it was great.

3 weeks in primary. In bottle for 3+ weeks right now.

what temperature did you ferment at?

I fermented mine around 66-68F, and the phenolic qualities seem about right. With that said, I used 1/2oz of sweet orange peel and 1/2 oz of crushed coriander with 10min left in the boil and they are both very slight in the taste. Although that was what I was going for.

what temperature did you ferment at?

I fermented mine around 66-68F, and the phenolic qualities seem about right. With that said, I used 1/2oz of sweet orange peel and 1/2 oz of crushed coriander with 10min left in the boil and they are both very slight in the taste. Although that was what I was going for.

My basement usually is at 69 degrees, typically. Would that degree of temp make that much difference?

If the ambient temperature is 69 than the temperature of the wort/beer at fermentation may be as much as 10 degrees higher. So it may have been as warm as 79F which causes more phenolic compounds to be produced. Either way a few more weeks in the bottle should mellow the taste of the beer. Some Belgian beers are actually fermented at those higher temperatures in order to get more of those flavors.

A water bath can be an easy & cheap way to help keep the temperature down.

If the ambient temperature is 69 than the temperature of the wort/beer at fermentation may be as much as 10 degrees higher. So it may have been as warm as 79F which causes more phenolic compounds to be produced. Either way a few more weeks in the bottle should mellow the taste of the beer. Some Belgian beers are actually fermented at those higher temperatures in order to get more of those flavors.

A water bath can be an easy & cheap way to help keep the temperature down.

I'll have to keep that in mind. TY!

Also did you make a starter for the yeast?

Normally I do, but with this one I did not. I used the Wyeast smack pack, though, but I realize it is still better to use a starter.

My two attempts at Wit's ended with weirdly-spicy or cold medicine tasting brews. No good :(

I'm sticking to drinking Hoegardens and brewing other styles for now.

Back