Mystery kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buchsenr

Reaction score
I scored some homebrew supplies from my wife's coworker's husband. I never met the guy so I don't have his contact info. I got three 5L mini kegs and some sort of a mini tap w/ CO2 cartridges. Do I put beer in them w/o priming sugar? Will the small plastic tabs to fill the keg holes last while carbing? ANy help is appreciated.

-Ron

A friend of mine is planning on mini kegging his next batch. I believe the CO2 is for dispensing and creating a barrier (instead of allowing air to enter the keg), but not really suitable for carbing with the mini CO2 kit.

I thought I saw a mini co2 tap for aroudn $25, but now I can't seem to find it.

The small plastic cap is if shaped like a flying saucer? That's just to keep it closed to the air.

You need to buy a 2 piece bung, usually dark brown rubber with a tan colored plastic piece for the center.

You need to wet the shaft of the tap before using. This will act as a lubricant when you force the tan center piece into the keg. and seat it all the way in.

Priming is 1-2 tablespoons of corn sugar. I just measure and pour it in. Fill with beer to within 1 inch from the top. Wet bung so it'll slide in easier.

Let sit for about 1-2 weeks as you would bottles.

Once opened (tapped) the beer should be consumed. I't not very good even overnight. Some beers may be, but generally not so I just recommend once opened it has to be drunk up.

Once emptied remove the rubber bung and the plastic piece will fall out. Rinse well with hot water...shake...repeat...;)

I used to use that system but the kegs are hard to find now.

I'm gonna be putting my CO2 tap and a couple of bungs up on the classifieds this week (just need to take a photo).

Back