banana chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
I plan on making a banana cream ale and I don't want to use a secondary for bananas. I was wondering if I could mash or boil banana chips to impart flavor instead?

I suppose you could try adding banana chips to your mash, haven't tried myself though so can't really offer any valid comments, but if you really want a banana flavour coming through in your beer maybe it'd be an idea to use one of the wheat beer yeasts, like WB-06. Ferment at around 72 to 74F for the first couple of days of fermentation and then ramp up ferm temps a bit more from there onwards. That should get you some noticeable banana esters happening.

For cream ale, try a flavor extract. Prob the best way to get the flavor intensity that u are looking for. If ur gonna use chips u may need to experiment to get the desired flavor.

U just don't wanna go TOO sweet with a cream ale recipe.

You could put them in your mash like doing a pulpkin ale. Or you could pulp them and add the banana-water post boil.

I pulped three dozen bananas in a mesh bag for a banana mead. I did it at 160F to pasteurize them too. I wore silicone gloves and used a potato masher.

Back