Dextrose mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suddsy83

Reaction score
Ok so my first attempt at a partial mash was going awesome.. I started with 150g of Choc malt cracked and fuggles hops, boiled for 6mins then steeped for 14mins. Added an amber ale extract and extra liquid malt to the fermenter. Topped with the strained and sparged mash. Then topped with cold water up until the 23ltr mark.. Missed something!! The dextrose!! ****!! So I added it before pitching my yeast.. Made sure it was well stirred in then pitched at the 23 deg mark. It's bubbling away atm but I am weary.. Has anyone made this mistake? Is it a mistake??.. If the dextrose wasn't fully dissolved, Will the yeast still ferment the undissolved sugars? Any help will be great.

Boil the dextrose first, just to be safe. And your writing makes it sound like you boiled your chocolate malt along with Fuggles hops... That's not a good idea.

The yeast will find any undissolved sugars.

Adding dry sugar is not recommended as it can carry bacteria. There is too much sugar for it to actively propagate bacteria, but it can carry it on it's surface. Adding it to wort that has not started fermenting does increase the risk of contamination. However the chance of a problem is extremely low with today's production techniques; just don't do it again. The more times you do it the greater the chance of a problem.

Did you boil the grains? Difficult to tell from your post. Not recommended as you risk extracting tannins, but don't worry about it. 40 years ago it was standard practice to boil steeping grains throughout the whole boil (reference: Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy, Dave Line). I'm sure they produced some decent beer back then.

I always doubted that bacteria can survive for long periods on the sugar granules. they need air,moisture,& food to survive & propogate. so i don't think that's a problem. but it would mix in easier made into a solution.
and boiling the grains is a bad idea. Hundreds of years ago they did things differently,true. But they also had a lot more bad batches that had to be dumped for various reasons. That too is history...

Ok so my first attempt at a partial mash was going awesome.. I started with 150g of Choc malt cracked and fuggles hops, boiled for 6mins then steeped for 14mins. Added an amber ale extract and extra liquid malt to the fermenter. Topped with the strained and sparged mash. Then topped with cold water up until the 23ltr mark.. Missed something!! The dextrose!! ****!! So I added it before pitching my yeast.. Made sure it was well stirred in then pitched at the 23 deg mark. It's bubbling away atm but I am weary.. Has anyone made this mistake? Is it a mistake??.. If the dextrose wasn't fully dissolved, Will the yeast still ferment the undissolved sugars? Any help will be great.

Was this a kit? Sounds like you might have tossed your priming sugar for bottling into your fermenter! Not to worry, it will just boost the alcohol a bit and it may seem a bit thinner in the mouthfeel. It can actually help to balance the non fermentables left in extract. As for sanitation, I have used non boiled, straight from the bag, plain ole powdered dextrose when making Apfelwein plenty of times with no I'll effects. If it's good enough for Edwort it's good enough for me!

TANSTAAFB said:
Was this a kit? Sounds like you might have tossed your priming sugar for bottling into your fermenter! Not to worry, it will just boost the alcohol a bit and it may seem a bit thinner in the mouthfeel. It can actually help to balance the non fermentables left in extract. As for sanitation, I have used non boiled, straight from the bag, plain ole powdered dextrose when making Apfelwein plenty of times with no I'll effects. If it's good enough for Edwort it's good enough for me!

Yeah I was a kit.. Amber ale, forgive my ignorance, I am new to all this. I added my dextrose for fermentation, not the priming sugar. It has subsequently had a healthy fermentation as far as I am aware, it's been bubbling away nicely. Just was worried that it would mess up the brew if I added it when I did.. Seems ok though :)

Latest posts

Back