Any Ideas on a Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
Ok so i'm short on cash till i get paid. And even then i don't know if i'll be able 2 purchase any ingredients will have 2 see. I was going through what i had leftover. And i found 3lbs of Light (LME) and about 3.5lbs of plain light DME and 32oz jar of pure raw honey. In the freezer i found 1oz of cascade pellets and 1oz of Czech Saaz pellets and 1oz of German Tradition pellets. I was thinking of whipping something up but not sure what. Any ideas on how to put this all together? I was thinking about maybe adding some strawberrys 2 the secondary and making a fruit beer of some sort. What do ya'll think? what would you even call a beer will all light extract? I usually just buy kits or buy ala carte and go by someone else's recipe. I have also heard that seeing i have no steeping grain i could maybe steep some flaked oats that i toasted in the oven from the local grocery store to give the beer more head and body. Is this true and if yes how long would i steep them? Thanks for any ideas!

Ya you can make a beer with that, as long as you have yeast! Strawberry's are expensive and you have to add a boat load to get flavor. I would spend that extra money on a little grain to steep. And yeast if you don't have it. You can make a lot of different styles with just a little bit of grain. Extracts are the expensive part.

And yes you can add flaked oats for a creamy taste. Like an oatmeal stout. No need to toast. Just steep with your grains, half a pound for an hour or so

Add
3/4 # roasted barley
1/4# special b
1/2# flaked oats

For a cheep oat meal stout

Maybe do the german and saaz at 60 and the cascade at 45 or 30 if you want a little hop presence

Ya i forgot 2 mention i prob have about 5 packs of Safale US-05 in the fridge.

I've never used honey but I'm sure if you added that along with the dme it would come out tasting alright. Maybe dry hop with the cascades for a honey ipa or something if you don't wanna purchase anything.

Steeping grains are cheap, 1.75 a pound, try some caramel malt and use only 8 ounces of the honey toward the end of the boil. Save the oats for a stout. Use the cascade for bittering and split up the saaz, 1/2 20 min and 1/2 for 5 min. You will have a nice beer, better than anything you could buy at the store.

Back