Fermenting Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patjofo

Reaction score
Just did my first brew earlier today (finished at 4:30 pm), an IPA. It's sitting in a glass fermenter in my basement. One problem, the kit said that the fermenter should sit at a temperature of approx. 64-72 degrees. At 11 pm the temperature read 61 degrees. It was sitting on a concrete floor so I set it on a rug hoping it will increase the temp. Does the temperature increase over time? Should I take any other measures? Wait a few days? Appreciate any help!

Sitting it on the rug was a good move. Will the temp drop much overnight ? I usually ferment on the low side of the recommended temp. Remember the temp of the beer fermenting will be anywhere from 3 to 10 warmer than ambient air temperature, depending on who you talk to.
Slainte

Don't worry about a thing! If you can maintain 60-73 degrees, you will be just find. Just make sure you're following sanitation procedures correctly and you will have nothing to worry about

Thanks! I think the temperature in the basement is fairly stable. I tried my best to follow the best sanitation procedure. This is the setup - pre rug- I plan to insert the airlock in a week and replace the blow off. A suggestion from an experienced friend I was brewing with. The beer bottle is securing the hose

image-2270240630.jpg

Sitting it on the rug was a good move. Will the temp drop much overnight ? I usually ferment on the low side of the recommended temp. Remember the temp of the beer fermenting will be anywhere from 3 to 10 warmer than ambient air temperature, depending on who you talk to.
Slainte

Correct, I shoot for about 62-65°F during the first/active stage of fermentation, realizing that the fermentation would be closer to 66-72° internally. Sometimes I go lower, it just depends on what I am attempting to accomplish.

But realize the ambient air temperature is not going to be the temperature of the fermenting beer. Fermentation is exothermic and generates heat. Your bare concrete floor will act as a heatsink and keep the beer cooler. Placing it on the carpet (or a towel, or off the floor) will prevent the cold surface from drawing the heat away from the fermenter.

Anyhow, you should be good. FWIW, when I invested in fermentation control, my beers were perceptibly better.

Cheers!

I just finished by first home brew about 6 weeks ago. I took it too a football party, and it's gone! Lots of worries - none of them panned out. My temperature stayed about 65 in my basement and as a previous poster pointed out, if your temps stay within a certain range you'll be fine.

I thought that I had made every mistake along the way but none of them ruined my beer; it was delicious. I've learned that the most important thing to "worry" about at this stage in the learning curve is sanitation. As long as you pay attention to that you'll be fine. The other salient piece of advice that I have is to allow your beer plenty of time to condition. Go an extra week or two (or three) and you won't be sorry.

There's a post here on the forum about what to do next, but for now, don't worry. Relax, have a beer, and later, have a home brew.

Best,

Steve

patjofo said:
Thanks! I think the temperature in the basement is fairly stable. I tried my best to follow the best sanitation procedure. This is the setup - pre rug- I plan to insert the airlock in a week and replace the blow off. A suggestion from an experienced friend I was brewing with. The beer bottle is securing the hose

I've never had a bad experience (because I don't own a hauler) but I have heard that you should NOT carry a full carboy by that hauler. Not sure if you did or you just store the handle on the neck, just a suggestion.

I currently have a witbier and a hefeweizen fermenting away in my basement. The temp on the fermometer is about 60-61 deg. I am 2 weeks in and the wit is about 1.020 and the hefe is still 1.030, so I would say the colder temps will slow down the fermentation. I am expecting a FG of 1.012-.014. Both used starters. I moved them to a warmer part of basement to help finish off the fermentation. So you may just have to wait it out.
Cheers

freisste said:
I've never had a bad experience (because I don't own a hauler) but I have heard that you should NOT carry a full carboy by that hauler. Not sure if you did or you just store the handle on the neck, just a suggestion.

I carry the carboy with one hand on the hauler and one hand under the carboy. I haven't removed the hauler from the neck yet.

One thing you can do to warm it up if needed is move it to an area of the basement that is warmer, next to the furnace or water heater. I do this with mine as I need to and it works pretty good. Just have to check the temp a couple times a day and move if its too warm or cold. My next purchase is a temp controller so i dont have to babysit the beer as much

Glass carboy on concrete?

Small scratches from sand or anything can lead to a shattered carboy. Keep the bottom clean and on a rug or at least some wood or cardboard.

OMO

bosco

Temperature rose to 63 degrees, it's been about 48 hours since I transferred to fermentation. Not seeing any yeast activity yet...

Back