New Belgium/Lost Abbey "Brett Beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeezerpleezer

Reaction score
Just picked up a couple bottles of the above (NB version, not the C&C Mo Betta Bretta from LA) and noticed a layer of sediment in the bottom of the bottles. I was thinking that all of the LoF series beers are pasteurized, or not bottle conditioned anyway. Is this true, or could the sediment be usable Brett?

On another note, has anyone tried it? It was only $5.35/bomber, so I may have to snag a couple more.

I had a tart lychee last night and noticed it had sediment too but didn't bother trying to collect it . Also good find on the lost Abby I saw it for 12 the other day and passed on it

I grabbed a couple Tart Lychee for $9. It is ok, but for a couple bucks more I prefer La Folie.

Also grabbed some Tilquin Oud Gueze for $8.35/375ml, which I thought was an excellent price.

I was told by a bartender at New Belgium that they were going to again stop pasteurizing their sours, due to a new bottling line. Maybe they started.

Read the recent interview of Lauren at New Belgian on Embrace the Funk. From that they still pasteurize and didn't mention a change, and further explained why for the record.

They do still pasteurize, but their method is different from your standard filtration method. So while there are still some critters sitting at the bottom of the bottles.... They're all dead.

Well, I drank one last night. I won't be buying anymore. It is almost cloyingly sweet, and has zero Brett flavor or aroma (maybe a very very slight amount). Hopefully the Lost Abbey C&C Mo Betta Bretta isn't the same recipe.

Hate to bump a few month old thread, but from what I'm reading, sounds like there's nothing you can do with the dregs from these? I have the tart lychee and the lost abbey in my fridge right now. I was thinking about learning how to harvest dregs etc to reuse them but sounds like you can't with these. That process is all new to me anyways.

$5.39 a bottle for all of them here heh.

The Brett Beer was not too bad. La Folie is where it's at. My local Binny's has the 2012 and 2011. I definitely preferred the 2011. I have a La Folie clone going right now. It will be my first sour.

NB really dropped the ball when they "accidentally" pasteurized Brett Beer. Shame. I thought the beer was an unfortunate example of the "style" and very one dimensional.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...“accidentally-pasteurized”.32621/

http://beerpulse.com/2012/08/new-belgium-and-lost-abbeys-brett-beer-accidentally-pasteurized/

A friend tends bar at a local pub, they have this on draft on a "clean" line as they were told it is pasteurized. I'm assuming NB packages bottles and kegs similarly.

And for what it's worth, he poured us a 4 oz sample on Friday that didn't get finished amongst 5 brewing friends...we got no brett character and lot of bandaid.

The interview with Lauren Salazar says it's filtered, not pasteurized. Either way the result is the same, no brett left in the bottle.

http://embracethefunk.com/2012/06/26/lauren-salazar-of-new-belgium-qa/

They do pasteurize their sour beers such as La Folie.

Brett character will continue to evolve even in the absence of live brett, so in order to "lock in" the flavor profile, you have to pasteurize to denature everything. If the goal at New Belgium is consistency and producing a beer that needs no additional aging, you have to pasteurize brett beers like this, too. That's why I said it was intentional even if explained as "accidental".

Whether it was on purpose or accident, I still think it's a shame to "lock in" a flavor in a beer that could evolve and develop over time. I had both in the past couple months and enjoyed the Lost Abbey version much more.

I've recently had both of these beers. I can't say I'm a fan of either. They are interesting to taste and I'm glad I tried them, but I certainly will not be buying them again any time soon. I could tell a slight difference between the beers and preferred the Lost Abbey version. It tasted brighter and had a pleasing tangy character that helped with the near complete lack of bitterness. The New Belgium version was pretty flabby and underwhelming.

I've recently had both of these beers. I can't say I'm a fan of either. They are interesting to taste and I'm glad I tried them, but I certainly will not be buying them again any time soon. I could tell a slight difference between the beers and preferred the Lost Abbey version. It tasted brighter and had a pleasing tangy character that helped with the near complete lack of bitterness. The New Belgium version was pretty flabby and underwhelming.

Needs more hops, eh? :confused:

Needs more hops, eh? :confused:

I'm not saying that exactly. Perhaps some bitterness would help. It's just not my thing and I'm not quite sure what I'd say would make it great. I've got a 100% Brett beer of my own I'm not very excited about either. These are the only two commercial examples I've tasted. I was just chiming in to say I liked the LA version better.

Back