wet hop wort absorption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgmartin000

Reaction score
Try saying that 10 times fast!

Getting ready to make my first wet hop ale. My recipie calls for 5oz FWH, 5 at 30,10 oz at 10 min, 10 at 5, and 10 at knockout.

So how much wort will these hops suck up? I was planning on adding an extra gallon to my boil. Will that be enough?

I think you'll be surprised at the lack of wort loss. Just do your recipe as planned. But, how soon are you doing this? It seems a little early for a fresh hop ale.

From my understanding they actually give liquid to the wort. Something like .1 gallons per pound.

I think you'll be surprised at the lack of wort loss. Just do your recipe as planned. But, how soon are you doing this? It seems a little early for a fresh hop ale.

Interesting. I'm brewing this weekend, my hops are ready!

I bag whole hops and wring out the bag at flame out. I get a bit more useable wort than just throwing in pellets. This is because there's less trub.

Bob

So since I'm a nerd, I ended up contacting Great Divide about this issue. I figured since they make a great Fresh Hop ale, they'd be the authoritative source.

They got back to me within about 15 minutes, and said they only lose about 5% of their wort due to the wet hops - so really not much different than pellets, for instance.

40 oz. of hops? How many bbl are you brewing?

Wet hops weigh ~5x as much as an equivalent amount of dry hops - so that's more like 8oz dry. Still hoppy, but not nearly as much as it sounds like :mug:

Back