two plants, similar issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
I have a centennial (2nd year) and a mystery hop (also 2nd year) with what look to be similar problems.
The mystery hop (lighter color plant in the photos) is significantly worse, and had more down-curling leaves. The affected leaves get significantly lighter, then curl down, get crunchy and fall off. this started at the bottom and is working its way up.
the Centennial has some up-turning leaves, and some curling down. These start by turning yellow and brown around the edges and veins, eventually spreading to the whole leaf, which then falls off. It has started putting out new growth at the bottom. also started at the bottom and worked up.

It was cool and wet here until last week. they got some organic fertilizer (don't remember the variety, but it was one i saw recommended on here a while back) at the beginning of the season, and are sprayed regularly with neem (in the evening after the sun has gone down, with the prescribed ratio)

Mystery
IMG389.jpg

IMG390.jpg

IMG391.jpg

Centennial
IMG392.jpg

IMG393.jpg

got something similar going on with a few of my plants. Not sure of ur watering schedule(or in my case the lack thereof). When i get mine figured out ill be sure to pass the info on.

Watering schedule here was that it rained almost every day in June. Since the rain stopped (less than a week ago) I've watered one time. My method for determining watering is to stick my finger in the soil. If it feels wet, I don't water. If it feels mostly dry I water. I never let it get bone dry

I have something similar going on with my two hop plants at the moment as well. I increased my watering frequency and I am noticing less of the dead leaves.

I noticed something similar with mine the other day. It's been oppressively hot and dry lately, and I've been watering 2 - 3 times per week. They seemed to love it and started putting out burrs like crazy starting last week. This morning I noticed several of the leaves starting at the bottom were turning yellow and brown, while new leaves were putting put off in their place. Doesn't seem to have hurt the growth at the top though.

Anyone have a definitive answer for this question, exact same thing happening to me here in Chicago, where we just finished 4 consecutive days of 100 degree heat. Problem had started prior to that though, first leaves affected are on the lower one third of the plant, if that helps.

I'm not the most knowledgeable plant guy out there, but my Centennial is doing much better now, about 3 days after i hit it with some morbloom (0-10-10) and superthrive.
no signs of recovery from my mystery hop, though.

I started to have what is happening to your plaints with the drying of the leafs a couple months ago, am growing in pots as well i stated water once a day in the morning and i give them a good soaking. Its been working good for me. Plants look great now.

UPDATE:
I started watering daily, as opposed to every other day, and giving them 2x as much water as I had been, and they've made a full recovery.
I wasn't watering that much because we'd been getting rain about 3x a week, and my friend who lives a couple miles away wasn't watering at all and was still getting great results.

Also, got a new ladder today so maybe i'll actually be able to harvest my hops :)

UPDATE 2:
I finally got around to buying an NPK & pH test kit, did all the tests and it looks like P,K, and pH are dead on, nitrogen came up at 0, depleted. Picked up some blood meal, tossed it on and watered it in. we'll see how it goes from here. They were already doing better from my increased watering, lets hope the nitrogen helps, too.

I see a lot of threads that say water only a couple time a week, that never worked for me i water once or even twice a day if it is really hot and never had a problem. My thinking is you can do more damage to the plant under watering then over watering.

As long as the roots are above ground level (pots, hills, raised bed). Overwatering should not be an issue.

Back