Secondary Fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basepaul21

Reaction score
I realize there is a bit of polarity between using a secondary fermentor and keeping the beer in the primary fermentor, and there are plenty of threads on the topic. I suppose this question is more "product" specific.

I'm trying to decide on my second batch, and while searching for beers that I think I'd like on Northern Brewer's site, they recommend 2 stage fermenting and a yeast starter for most of the styles I'm looking into.

Do I need to use the 2 stage fermenting that they recommend? Is their suggestion based on alcohol content? The types I keep finding these suggestions for are IPA's, a high gravity stout, and an American amber ale.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

Its not really a secondary "fermenter", a seconday is a way to get your beer of the trub and help it clear up. you dont move your beer until fermentation is over. The decision is basically yours as the entire process can be done in one vessel or multiple. I am sure someone will chime in with a more in depth reasoning but simple answer is the new yeast strains will not give off off flavors when a beer is left on them for months at a time.

I think their suggestion has more to do with the fact that they also sell fermenters.

No, you don't need to. Guys that do do so for a few different reasons:

1) Noob and do so because the 'instructions' say so.

2) Need to empty a Primary to brew more beer.

3) Bulk Aging

4) Adding fruit of oak or other flavors

I only secondary to dryhop or to bulk age or to put something else it (i.e. fruit, oak, etc).

Back