fizzy post fermentation, pre bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mycobiont

Reaction score
I'm about as novice as can be and have no home brewing friends to guide me, so please forgive my stupidities and ignorance.

I'm in the midst of my very first brew. After pitching the yeast, I put my ale brew to ferment in a back room that got way too cold early in the fermentation due to the recent cold spells in the western US. It has been 2 weeks now. My instructions say that it should taste like flat beer with no sweetness. However it has a distinct fizzyness to it... though not quite a regular beer fizzyness, it reminds me more of what one sometimes gets when Orange Juice sits in the fridge too long. Otherwise it does taste like beer. There might be a hint of sweetness, but not much. All the troubleshooting information I can find does not seem to mention fizzyness at the pre-bottling stage.

So... toss it or bottle it?

Thanks!

Never toss it unless it is undrinkable. The fizziness probably is CO2 that coming out of solution and is a byproduct of fermentation.

bottle it up. It will be fine. If anything it needs to sit a little longer if it has been real cold.

How cold is it getting in your house?

This is why homebrewers buy hydrometers. It is the only way to tell if a ferment is done.

Half of the fermentable sugar in your wort becomes CO2, the other half becomes alcohol. As mentioned, some of it stays in solution.

Thanks for the confidence building. I didn't see any more bubbling, so went ahead and bottled. Looking forward to next weekend!

Back