Simcoe Golden Promise SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oswegan

Reaction score
I am going to try a SMaSH now that it's long past being cool and hip.

Here's what I'm going to try:

6.5 gallon batch

14 lbs Simpson's Golden Promise
.75oz Simcoe @ 60 minutes
.75oz Simcoe @ 30 minutes
.50oz Simcoe @ 15 minutes
.50oz Simcoe @ 10 minutes
.50oz Simcoe @ 5 minutes
.50oz Simcoe @ 0 minutes
.50oz Simcoe dry hop 7 days

White Labs California Ale Yeast 001

Mash: 152 for 60 minutes

OG 1.065
FG 1.014

ABV: 6.5%
IBU: 60

Wow, looks bitter. But if you like that,then go for it.

Personally, I did a 2-row simcoe smash and didn't particular care for the hop flavor of simcoe. But that's my opinion, others love it.

You could certainly put me in the "others love it" category. But suppose if I want to taste more of the golden promise I should back off on some of the simcoe.

Fine tuning your craft is never not cool! I just bottled my first SMASH this past weekend, a MO/Challenger IPA. This looks pretty good to me (although I might keep the grain bill but go for 5.5 - 6 gal batch). I'm not huge on Simcoe, but if you know Simcoe, you know what you're getting. Let us know how it turns out.

Well I just got all my hops in the mail today so now I have a choice. I have heard the Amarillo and the Centennial are good SMaSH hops. The Golden Promise is comparable to a MO (I think). I have only ever used it in wee heavy and never by itself. Should be interesting.

Golden promise is way different then the MO, My SMASH is exclusively golden promise and Chinook hops, trust me you won't be dissapointed. I roast a couple of pounds of GP at 350 for like 30 minutes then I remove one pound and leave the other in for a total of 60 min. Mine comes out with a Scotch taste from the malt that I truly love.

Yellow 70 cooper

Fine tuning your craft is never not cool! I just bottled my first SMASH this past weekend, a MO/Challenger IPA. This looks pretty good to me (although I might keep the grain bill but go for 5.5 - 6 gal batch). I'm not huge on Simcoe, but if you know Simcoe, you know what you're getting. Let us know how it turns out.

Let me know what you think of that MO/Challenger smash when you have one. I did a MO/Challenger smash that I bittered and hopped to IPA levels and the flavor I got from the challenger reminded me way too much of asparagus. If you get the same thing I'll know it's a characteristic of challenger. If not, then it could be I had some bad hops or something.

I'm thinking of doing a similar recipe, but with a different base malt and hop schedule.

Ingredients:
13.00 lb. Maris Otter
1.50 oz. Simcoe (11.90%) @ FWH
2 pkgs. SafAle US-05

Mash @ 154F for 60 min. No mash-out.

I know Simcoe and love it as my bittering hop for previous IPAs, with Cascade for flavor and aroma.
I'm really curious to see how it will work as the only hop, plus I want to see how FWH really works.

BeerSmith tells me my OG will be 1.069 and IBUs will be 61.5. I like hoppy beers, but is this too far out of balance?

Thanks!

I roast a couple of pounds of GP at 350 for like 30 minutes then I remove one pound and leave the other in for a total of 60 min.

Sounds great. So you roast one pound for 30 min and one for 60? Is it ok if it has already been crushed or should in be roasted pre-crush. I don't have a mill at the house.

I'm thinking of doing a similar recipe, but with a different base malt and hop schedule.

Ingredients:
13.00 lb. Maris Otter
1.50 oz. Simcoe (11.90%) @ FWH
2 pkgs. SafAle US-05

Mash @ 154F for 60 min. No mash-out.

I know Simcoe and love it as my bittering hop for previous IPAs, with Cascade for flavor and aroma.
I'm really curious to see how it will work as the only hop, plus I want to see how FWH really works.

BeerSmith tells me my OG will be 1.069 and IBUs will be 61.5. I like hoppy beers, but is this too far out of balance?

Thanks!

I like Simcoe as bittering and have used it as FHW. I have also used several of the C hops as FWH and mash hops. Chinook is a FWH and mash hop I use for a brew similar to Pliny.

I would also use some Simcoe for flavor and aroma which is where I think it really shines. It truly is multi-purpose in my opinion.

I reconsidered this a bit and I have updated slightly. Even though I am a hop head, I wanted to back off the IBU's a bit so that I don't lose site of the malt flavor. I will brew it Friday night or Saturday morning.

6.5 gallon batch

14 lbs Simpson's Golden Promise
.50oz Simcoe @ 60 minutes
.50oz Simcoe @ 30 minutes
.50oz Simcoe @ 5 minutes
.50oz Simcoe @ 0 minutes
1.00oz Simcoe dry hop 3 days

Mash: 154 for 60 minutes

OG 1.065
FG 1.016

ABV: 6.4%
IBU: 46

Cheers!

I mill my grain after it is roasted, I don't think it can be done if it is crushed first. Saying that I have never tried either. I hope it all works out I really like the Golden Promise.

Yellow 70 cooper

Oh well, I already crushed the 14lbs. and all I have at home is a meat grinder and a food processor. I supposed I could strike it repeatedly with a large rock . . .

I mill my grain after it is roasted, I don't think it can be done if it is crushed first. Saying that I have never tried either. I hope it all works out I really like the Golden Promise.

I am going to try toasting a couple of pounds per your suggestion, so I am adding two additional pounds of Golden Promise to the recipe. Toast 1 pound for 30 minutes @ 350 and 1 pound for an hour @ 350.

Brewing this up tonight.

6.5 gallon batch

16 lbs Simpson's Golden Promise
.75oz Simcoe @ 60 minutes
.50oz Simcoe @ 30 minutes
.50oz Simcoe @ 5 minutes
.50oz Simcoe @ 0 minutes
1.00oz Simcoe dry hop 7 days

Mash: 154 for 60 minutes

OG 1.074
FG 1.016

ABV: 7.5%
IBU: 50.1

:D

Sweet deal, you have inspired me as well. I am roasting 3 lbs for 30 minutes and 2 lbs for 60 with a total grain bill of 15lbs and a total of 8 ozs of cascades. The IBU's are around 131 so the this will be quite hoppy but it should be nice. I hope yours turns out good.

Yellow 70 Cooper

Sweet deal, you have inspired me as well. I am roasting 3 lbs for 30 minutes and 2 lbs for 60 with a total grain bill of 15lbs and a total of 8 ozs of cascades. The IBU's are around 131 so the this will be quite hoppy but it should be nice. I hope yours turns out good.

Yellow 70 Cooper

That sounds awesome. I really like how easy it is to hit or beat your gravity with the golden promise. The stuff has some incredibly sweet plump kernals. I am tracking down stats for it for BeerSmith. I know has a really low protein of around 8%.

This is now in the secondary (I needed the yeast cake):D

I plan to let it finish up for another week and then I will crash it and dry hop. It looks very amber in color and is clearing out very nicely.

I am now going to do the exact same brew with Cascade hops so I have something to compare side by side.:mug:

Still talking to myself over here.

I looked back at beersmith and it estimated a final gravity of 1.019, down from 1.074.

I took a reading and a taste tonight and was quite surprised that I am already down to 1.016 which puts me at 7.59% ABV. It is golden amber in color, extremely smooth flavor and just enough presence of the Simcoe on the finish.

I am going to go ahead and dry hop. I think this is going to be really good.

Is it still a smash if you toast some grains? Toasted grains obviously change the flavor of the end product, so how can it still be a single malt?

I suppose you could argue that I am making a different type of malt by toasting some of the grain (like victory malt). But it is all still one single type of grain and malting really is the process of causing the grain to germinate by soaking in water and then stopping the germination by drying quickly with hot air.

I am doing the exact brew tonight with cascade hops, the point for me being to see if I like Golden Promise and to compare the flavor and aroma of the the two different hops.

There is one thing I know for sure though - it is beer.

I think the more important question is how you got those girls to kiss.

This went on tap today, and if you like Simcoe, it doesn't get much better than this.

It started at 1.074 and finished out at 1.016 so it came in at 7.59% ABV, a light 5.9 SRM, a nice toasty malt profile, and although not extremely bitter at 50 IBU, it packs an explosion of flavor and aroma. A definate hop bomb.

It serves as a nice contrast to the aged oatmeal stout I have on the other tap. :mug:

Golden promise is way different then the MO, My SMASH is exclusively golden promise and Chinook hops, trust me you won't be dissapointed. I roast a couple of pounds of GP at 350 for like 30 minutes then I remove one pound and leave the other in for a total of 60 min. Mine comes out with a Scotch taste from the malt that I truly love.

Yellow 70 cooper

I'm planning this smash. 12lb GP, 1.5oz Chinook FWH, then additional Chinook at FO and dry hop. Good idea on toasting the malt I'm going to try that.

I have 50 lbs of Golden promise, I want to smash with it. I see different amounts of grain. 12,14, & 16. Why the large difference? Also I prefer the low alpha hops such as Hallertau, Crystal, Glacier. Will these stand up to a SMaSH? Will I need to use a stronger hop like Cascade? I hopped up a Blonde recipe form my nephew and my LHBS guy said not to use Super Alphas with that recipe because I didn't have the malt base to support the hops. Does this work the other way also? Will a malt like Golden promise require a stronger hop presence than a low alpha? Cascade is the upper limit of my hop tolerance so I'd rather not go there. What say you?

Allergic2 - I think you'll be fine. The OP is obviously looking for a pale ale / IPA style smash.

Honestly, I am a pretty big hop head. But without doing any math, 10# GP with 3-4oz of Hallertau, mashed around 154* and done with a CA Common yeast might be pretty good on a summer day... and a pretty cheap recipe.

Yellow 70 cooper
I made one similar to this. Toasted 1 pound for 30, mashed at 152 the carmelized 1 gallon first runnings. 8.5 lbs GP: 1.034 OG 1.007 FG. Simcoe .5oz @ 60, .4 @ 10, .4 @ flameout. Vermont Ale 1 liter starter. Ferment @ 67 for 3 days then up to 72. Dry hop .75oz for 4 days then kegged @ 10 psi. Surprisingly full flavor, beautiful orange color. Will make this again.

Latest posts

Back