How to make Pumpkin Beer in a Pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great. I wonder if it would spontaneously ferment without pitching any yeast?

Not sure if this is the same one I saw a few years back, but it's a cool thing to do regardless.

Elysian Brewing in Seattle does a pumpkin festival every year and one of the highlights is tapping a pumpkin full of beer. In their case, they just use the pumpkin as a secondary/cask.

I saw someone here did this and the pumpkin rotted I think or started to smell. Not sure if the beer was salvaged though. Could do a search and find it.

I don't think a day goes by on this Forum where I'm not completely floored by man's ingenuity when it comes to making beer.

I know I saw a thread around here a few years back about someone fermenting inside a pumpkin. From what I recall, it didn't go over well, I believe it got infected due to the difficulty of trying to sanitize a pumpkin.

Interesting idea for a fall beer......What about a watermelon for a summer brew?

I'm feeling ill now..

2 replies how someone tried this and it was a failure and no concerns? You all just keep saying what a cool idea?

Chick with three tits would probally fail....Still a cool idea:D

Guy at the LHBS did this.

At 1 week in (when it was served) it was good. Put a tap in the side of the pumpkin even. A bit funky, a bit sour (lambic maybe). Probably wouldn't have made it much past the week - but it was, IMHO, damn good.

Brilliant..

For the concerns around sanitization - make sure you get a fresh pumpkin and use sanitized tools to carve. You should have a very decent chance of not getting an infection

One of these days... :)

For the two it won't works, I've also read a couple write-ups where it worked quite well. Start with a fresh firm pumpkin. Ferment cool or use a lager yeast in a refrigerator. Immediately crash cool for aging. Rack to second pumpkin quckly.

No reason why this couldn't be a success.

Back