What's your most expensive brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
What did it cost you for 12oz of beer out of either the tap or in a bottle?

When I get it bottled it will be my Belgian Barleywine at $1.75 even though I don't bottle any more, this one is going to grace glass rather than stainless. :)

EDIT: Take your total cost, figure it out per gallon, then divide that by 128 and multiply by 12 to get to the answer here. Thanks

Was my first attempt at an DIPA.

30 pounds of grain and 8 ounces total hop charge.

Thanks goes to a cheap domed false bottom for that one never making it's way to a fermenter. Thusly, it became my most expensive brew. Especially after dropping nearly $80 on a new, better, false bottom.

Never did brew that again tho'.

Mine was also a double IPA, I think my total hop charge was about 8 oz (at 2.50 an oz)for a 5 gallon batch. At least it tasted good...

the chocolate espresso imperial stout I just bottled is in the neighborhood of $1.88 per 12oz. Any of my friends that even get to taste this should consider themselves loved...

Yeah, my Belgian Barleywine isn't any more expensive than the IPA I just made, but add in the cost of those damned bottles and it doubles! Anyone that drinks it is going to have to be closer to me than SWMBO, actually that is a lie. I love having people drink my beer when they appreciate it. Plus I have 10 gallons to go through at 10%abv!

The very first. If I hadn't brewed that, I would have never needed to upgrade my boil kettle, by a burner, IC, etc., etc., etc.

Old Bog Water Barleywine. No idea what the last batch cost (2005) and I don't bottle. 15 pounds of grain, 2 pounds of dark brown sugar and 4 ounces of hops in the boil.

I did a 10 gallon IIPA with 28oz of hops in it. 28lbs of grain and 8lbs of extract. Don't know the per bottle cost as I don't bottle, but I remember 10 gallons costing over $150 fifty to make.

I just revised the original post to be more specific. It doesn't matter if you bottle or not, I don't, but I just want to get an idea or what is expensive for you guys and what is expensive for me. I am working up an Imperial IPA that will have about two pounds of hops, so that alone will be around $50 on the cheap side, then add the 50lbs of grain at call it $75 and then any additional costs including the previous batch for the yeast, it will cost around $200 for 10 gallons.

The Pliny the Elder clone Dude posted. I really DON"T want to know the exact cost. I bought hops when they were from $1.50 to $3.00 an ounce, and didn't buy grain in bulk. I'd have to guestimate it was at least $70 or so for the batch.

I brewed Mike McDole's Pliny the Elder clone that he won the Longshot with. (OK, I fudged on his hop schedule a little bit.) I think that 5 gallon batch of beer cost me upwards of $8000.

That might be an exaggeration, but it was definitely a pricey batch.

Barrel Aged Belgian Dark Strong:

$99.50 for ingredients ($88 malt, $8 hops, $3.50 yeast since it was the second use of WLP500 at $7 for the vial)

$75/5 = $15 for barrel from JD distillery

Cages, corks, belgian bottles = unknown, but pricing right now seems to be another $40-50

=$159.50 / (9 gallons recouped (evap loses in barrel) * 128 oz/gal = ~96 12 ozers) = $1.66 per 12 oz. Not too shabby, unless my math is incorrect.

Honestly I post because everyone says that they have a super expensive brew in the works. Then you figure it out and it is like $1.50 for 12 oz. That is freaking reasonable in my eyes. Seeing how the cheapest 22oz bottle is $3 commercially or at happy hour prices a pint is $3. So we can make a Pliny the Younger for call it $300/5 gallons. That's $5.65/12 oz or $30 for a growler. I bought a growler for $36, so that means I can make if for just a little bit less. Sweeeeeet!

My M&J batch... I got the recipe off the web and then proceeded to assemble them from different shops (who ever had what I needed)... total cost was $58 then add $4.50 for the LPG to brew with and it's ~62.50 for a 4.3 gal batch due to waste with the Dry Hop problems. I may loose more due to there is so much residue that Racked into the keg. I may end up with only 4 gal. or $1.42 per 12 oz glass.

But if it turns out good... I'll probably try it again as I love M&J and even at that price it's a "STEAL" as the pub in Seattle charged me $8.50 (sans tip) for a pint!!!!

60 cents per 12oz. is as high as it has gone for me; that's including the 10 cent bottle deposit! Of course I'm not equipped for all grain so buying even the most expensive kit I can find (BrewHouse) produces great beer for very little money. I'm brewing a Blonde ale now that is going to have cost me about 34 cents per bottle... University is expensive :(

Back