Never got around to racking to secondary. Should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDJ

Reaction score
I just made an all-extract Pils. I never got around to putting it in a secondary. It's now been 3 weeks. If the SG is right, should I just bottle it? What would I gain by putting it in a secondary for another week?

The only reason why I put anything in the Secondary is to try to get some more of the sediment to settle out.

3 weeks in the primary should be fine, but take a gravity reading

Many of us skip secondary and leave our beers in primary for a minimum of 3-4 weeks...many of us have noticed a huge difference in improvement in quality by doing so...so your beer will be fine.

John Palmer say this in How To Brew...

Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks...will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

If you haven't already I would probably do a diactyl rest at room temps or so first. Maybe you could get away with bottling and let them sit a day or so at room temp after bottling... to carb and rest a bit. The more I skip a secondary the less I miss it.

Back