First keg,flat foamy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I been doing alot of searching and it seems theres lots of variables

my setup:
5' beer line
10psi
41 degs
Victor 2 stage reg
I read it could be obstructions in the line.I ran 3/4 copper tube from the tower to the top of the fridge.Is it possible the bend at the elbow (90 degs) is restricting the line?.Everything in the entire setup is new.The foaming is not to bad,but the flattish beer is killing me.I tapped it yesterday and its the same today.Domestic beer 1/2 barrel.Any help would be appreciated

Check the temperature inside your tower. I don't totally understand what you mean by "I ran 3/4 copper tube from the tower to the top of the fridge". Is the tower attached to the fridge?

The beer must remain cold all the way to your glass. If it is passing through or sitting in a warm spot, the carbonation will be knocked out of the beer quickly.

It the same for every pour,not just the first.
I ran a 3/4 copper line inside the tower,from the top of tower to the top of the inside of the fridge.Then put a 90 deg elbow on and ran a copper line across the top of fridge to transfer cold air into the tower.The beer line is INSIDE the copper.I wrapped the copper tube in the tower with pipe insulation. dont think is a warm line issue as it happens with every pour.Commercial fridge with internal fan

You likely need a longer beer line. The warmer or more carbonated the beer is, the slower the pour needs to be to prevent foaming. Don't believe the line balancing calculators. They work ok if you're working within the parameters as commercial set-ups, but not so much once you start increasing the serving temp or carb level. It also could be an obstruction as you mentioned, but I'd think a 3/4" elbow would have enough room to prevent kinking a 3/16" line. Another possible contributing factor is your glassware. Try rinsing a glass with cold water just before pouring and see if it makes a difference.

You're also using a pretty low carb level, so if you get the foam to stop and still find it too flat, you'll need to increase your serving pressure.

I was thinking of upping the pressure but I read to much pressure will actually blow the c02 out of the beer causing even more foam and flatter beer.

can I add another 5 ft of line without replacing the entire line as It would be a pain in the ass.If so how would I connect the two lines together.

I was thinking of upping the pressure but I read to much pressure will actually blow the c02 out of the beer causing even more foam and flatter beer.

If you're getting a foamy pour with your current set-up, then more pressure will make the problem worse because it will increase the pour speed, which is likely what's causing the foam. What you need is to slow the pour down, which is typically done by replacing the beer line with a longer one. I'd try 10-12' of 3/16" ID line.

Once you slow the pour down so that you're not losing carbonation to foam, then you'll have a better idea of how carbonated the beer is. It's likely that the ~2.25 vol you're at now is lower than you'd like. If that's the case, you'll need to increase the pressure to increase the carbonation level.

can I add another 5 ft of line without replacing the entire line as It would be a pain in the ass.If so how would I connect the two lines together.

You could use a double ended barb, but the restriction and turbulence caused by the junction could potentially create more foaming issues.

Im less inclined to believe its a problem with your system. My initial thought is the beer is either over carbed or not properly carbonated to begin with.

How long has it been on the gas and at what temp and psi?

Im less inclined to believe its a problem with your system. My initial thought is the beer is either over carbed or not properly carbonated to begin with.

If the carbonation level were significantly higher than what corresponds to the serving pressure and temp, then the first pour of a drinking session would be significantly more foamy than subsequent pours, which the OP said was not the case.

Back