2 Row in my Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Last two times I made this I was still extract brewing. Now the I do all grain I am really excited to see how this turns out. I know Pilsner malt is the typical base, but I have a 50 lbs sack of US 2-Row and was wondering if it would work out. Recipe is as follows:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.7 %
2 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 19.0 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 4 9.5 %
2.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 29.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 2.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Saison I Ale (White Labs #WLP565) [35.49 ml] Yeast 7 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 31.5 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 4.7 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 8.0 oz
Sparge Water: 5.54 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

It will be fine. I'm actually in the opposite scenario. I can't get pale 2-row here, so I use pils as my standard base for everything.

If nothing else, save a bottle for the next time you brew it and use a pils then and compare.

I agree. I think you'll still have the yeasty spiciness that defines the style. Interesting low-risk experiment

2 row will be fine, it just won't have quite the same "grainy" taste that pilsner malt has. The aromatic and wheat, along with the saison yeast, will probably provide most of the flavor anyway.

Saisons are rustic brews so the 2- row will be fine. Most of the flavor comes from the yeast.

Brew it up and enjoy.

If you sub it for a recipe that calls for pilsner, then you'll notice the difference. However, it doesn't make the resulting beer bad in any way. I frequently use 2-row in my Saison, I've also used Munich, Vienna, Maris Otter and BoPils as the base grain in a Saison. I make them light, amber, dark and black (stout-ish), and I love them.

I will say, clear Candi Sugar is a waste of money, table sugar will do the exact same job.

Saison is pretty much about the yeast, and dryness. Anything else goes. Traditional Saison was made with whatever was available; I doubt they had pilsner malt.

I have brewed saisons with both 2 row and pilsner. They both come out great, the pils does tend to be a bit thinner and drier than the 2 row which tends to seem a bit heavier IMO. It's mostly the yeast, ferment it hot. Either one does make a good saison.

Latest posts

Back