Over aggressive fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecav

Reaction score
This is my 3rd all grain batch but have been brewing for 2 years and never encountered this issue. We are fermenting just shy of 6 gallons of sg 1.086 wort with a fresh starter of safale-04. It is in a standard plastic fermenting bucket. I was a little worried that there may not be enough head space so we put it in the basin sink just in case. The temp is 64F during the day and 60F at night. It had been about 22 hours and I have changed the airlock once and the lid popped open once as well. should I be worried about this while it continues to ferment? I am we'll aware at this point that 6 gal of high gravity wort is too much for the bucket. Any suggestions as to how to handle this? Should I let it continue to ferment and change the airlock/ close the lid as necessary? Thanks in advance for your advice.

image-3432196747.jpg

image-1446149296.jpg

Why not rig up a blow-off tube? That's the way I do all of my brewing because I don't have to worry about plugged air locks or lifting lids.

Ben58 said:
Why not rig up a blow-off tube? That's the way I do all of my brewing because I don't have to worry about plugged air locks or lifting lids.

To the lid of the bucket? How would I do that? I have a tube that would fit into the airlock hole. I'm worried that would get clogged though. I'd like to hear how you get yours to work.

To the lid of the bucket? How would I do that? I have a tube that would fit into the airlock hole.

That's exactly how you do it. Stick the free end in a half gallon milk jug half filled with water.

I'm worried that would get clogged though.[...]

The inside diameter of the tube is way bigger than the tiny holes in airlock lid...

Cheers!

[edit] ps: an 86 point brew with S04 is pretty much always going to look like a bomb went off unless you have a really tight temperature controlled fermentation. The yeast is a beast, and with that much food it's going to go off big time if it gets over ~70°F...

Back