Help:Indoor brew setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racedog

Reaction score
I will be finishing my basement this summer (economy willing) with a room for movies/music, one for bar and pool table, a bathroom, a bedroom, and finally a brew room.

I would like to incorporate an indoor brew room so I don't have to take everything from storage to the upstairs kitchen and deck. Also this will allow me to brew with a nice soundtrack of music on the stereo instead of irritating the family or having to listen to chick flicks or cartoons.

I have room for some kind of stove or burner, sink, refrigerator(for temp controlled fermentation), shelving for HLT/mash tun/brew pot, and storage. I will install a bottling station/counter with underneath storage.

What is the best burner/stove for indoor brewing? (Gas line will be run)
What is the best for fresh air and exhaust vents/fans?
Any other ideas?

what about going electric? would still need some ventilation for the steam but not as much as for propane burners. And then it is not really a safety issue, more of a not getting a gallon of condensation on your ceiling.

I tell ya, from experience, go electric. It's really difficult--though I'm sure not entirely impossible--to buy an affordable hood fan that will pull the CO, CO2, and water vabor out of your basement adequately. And, even if you do, you'll be brewing to the sound of jet engines inside.

I know--I did it for 2 years. I'm sure I lost more brain cells to noxious fumes than I could afford in the meantime. Then I got wise and went electric. It takes time to acquire all the electronics and put the control panel together, but there's no way I'd go back.

In a basement go electric. You can also ferment in corney kegs inside a chest freezer with a temp comtroller. You do not really need to do any thing to a corny keg to use it and it fits without a color on the freezer. 7 foot one or bigger

If indoors I'd only run natural gas. But you definitely need good ventilation. I would not run propane. Electric is a good option too although usually a lot more expensive and you need some dedicated circuits.

If indoors I'd only run natural gas. But you definitely need good ventilation. I would not run propane. Electric is a good option too although usually a lot more expensive and you need some dedicated circuits.

This point has been tackled in this thread, among others. Brewing with electricity is not more expensive than propane. As far as "dedicated circuits, all you'd need to do is run a 30 amp 240v to a spa panel.

I might be wrong, but I understood that natural gas actually has much more noxious byproducts than propane. I wanted to put a natural gas line in my garage so I dont have to worry about propane tanks, but was told by multiple plumbers that in a closed space (I have to keep my garage closed in the winter to brew) propane is much better.

Its possible to have proper ventilation without a huge fan by making sure you have both an intake and exhaust fan in the room positioned properly to allow proper airflow. Talk to an HVAC guy before going electric to see how many cfm you'd need for proper ventilation.

It sure seems from reading what people say here on hbt that electric is the way to go if you can afford it though.

This point has been tackled in this thread, among others. Brewing with electricity is not more expensive than propane. As far as "dedicated circuits, all you'd need to do is run a 30 amp 240v to a spa panel.

Sorry let me clarify my statement: more costly to get setup. I wasn't trying to imply it's costly to run.

I might be wrong, but I understood that natural gas actually has much more noxious byproducts than propane. I wanted to put a natural gas line in my garage so I dont have to worry about propane tanks, but was told by multiple plumbers that in a closed space (I have to keep my garage closed in the winter to brew) propane is much better.

Its possible to have proper ventilation without a huge fan by making sure you have both an intake and exhaust fan in the room positioned properly to allow proper airflow. Talk to an HVAC guy before going electric to see how many cfm you'd need for proper ventilation.

It sure seems from reading what people say here on hbt that electric is the way to go if you can afford it though.

Well unless I'm missing something - they use natural gas burners indoors. Stoves, fireplaces, water heaters, etc. If it was that big of a problem then I'd think we wouldn't be using it. However - most of those applications use it in bursts. So perhaps there's something about length of time that plays in here.

Well unless I'm missing something - they use natural gas burners indoors. Stoves, fireplaces, water heaters, etc. If it was that big of a problem then I'd think we wouldn't be using it. However - most of those applications use it in bursts. So perhaps there's something about length of time that plays in here.

Well, all of those gas appliances (except for a stove) are vented to the outside! A stove does not vent outside, but that's why there are tons of warnings about not using it in enclosed areas and not using it for supplemental heat. Unvented gas appliances are deadly. C0 poisoning is no joke, and is very serious.

If going with gas, I'd make sure to have a furnace/appliance guy help with the proper venting including the proper range hood and fan.

I brew indoors, but I'm 100% electric. I get some condensation (lots actually if the door is closed to my brew room) but no deadly gasses and fumes. I would never ever recommend doing it in an enclosed space with propane or natural gas.

My fireplace nor stove vents. But don't get me wrong: I'm not saying don't vent! I'm just saying that I really don't think natural gas is that much worse than propane - both are not fantastic in enclosed areas. If I were indoors I would either use steam or electric.

Yeah, go electric if you can swing it. I brew in the basement with natural gas. In the winter it works out fine. I can open up windows on both sides of the basement and get plenty of ventillation. In the summer, it really sucks (which is why I stock up on brew before summer hits and usually don't have to brew again until late summer/early fall).

My basement has a unvented natural gas fireplace installed by a qualified professional with permits. I also have CO and smoke detectors in that area. The CO detector goes off the first time I lite it every year but that's it. I also use a natural gas brew rig But it's in the garage with the door open for venting. I wouldn't use my brew rig in the basement without some serious ventilation.

OK....I am convinced that E brewing is the way to go for me, BUT....... I am not the handiest person especially when it comes to electricity. I'll leave this to the pros so I don't either kill myself or burn the house down. I usually will try most projects if time permits, but when it comes to electricity.....No

Is there a commercial source that sells a reasonably priced option? An internet search turned up only build it your self options and 1 $8000 system (ahhhh, no). Also some electric turkey fryers, but these sound like it would greatly extend the brew time.

Thanks for the help!!

Latest posts

Back