Auto Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2HomeBrew

Reaction score
I bought an Auto Siphon several brews ago, and have never had good luck in getting the thing to work properly. I bought the Siphon brand new, and the 3/8 hose that the packaging indicated. Every time I try to start the siphon it goes for a minute then just stops. I've tried putting a zip tie around the hose/cain connection, and this helped a bit but it still was stopping every few minutes. Then while in the middle of racking the other night, the little poppet that keeps the wort from flowing back out of the siphon just poped out when I opened it up to see what was wrong. I ended up having to ladel out the rest of the 10 gallon batch with a pint measuring cup. Not fun!

Anyone have any suggestions? I already tossed the broken one in the garbage. Has anyone had good luck with a certain brand? I really want to be as clean as possible and don't want to have to ladel or start a siphon with my mouth.

I've had one since my first batch. The only time I had problems was when I tried to buy some new tubing and it wasn't the right size. Probably the same problem as the 3/8 5/16" mentioned by Beerrific.

Beerrific is right. the instructions say 3/8" but my LHBS said that was just flat out wrong. I actually split some 3/8" trying to get it on there. the 5/16" works fine though, and is still tight enough that it doesn't leak at the top.

there is still a trick to most of them though. often air will get trapped right where the hose connects to the cane. if you just pinch it a little when that happens, you'll burp the bubble through.

we usually get all paranoid about that air bubble causing oxidation. even if it doesn't, you get a better siphon by pinching it off.

they make a mini-siphon too for 1gallon jugs, and its cane looks smaller...I think it would take 3/8" tubing. Maybe.

malkore said:
Beerrific is right. the instructions say 3/8" but my LHBS said that was just flat out wrong. I actually split some 3/8" trying to get it on there. the 5/16" works fine though, and is still tight enough that it doesn't leak at the top.

Interesting, mine definitely said 5/16'' I know becuase I was I told SWMBO "Ah, 3/8'' will work." After sucking a bunch of air into my beer and getting pissed, she rolled her eyes at me and I got some 5/16''. Is yours Fermtech? Maybe they updated the instructions.

It's a 3/8" OD cane, but you really need the smaller 5/16 ID tubing to get an airtight fit. I know it's been said, but sometimes you need to hear it a few times before you stop beating your head against the wall.

Bobby_M said:
It's a 3/8" OD cane, but you really need the smaller 5/16 ID tubing to get an airtight fit. I know it's been said, but sometimes you need to hear it a few times before you stop beating your head against the wall.

It might not fit at first but if you put the tubbing in boiling water it will soften enough...I have yet to get mine off :cross:

I use an autosiphon with 3/8 and don't have any problems at all. Just a pump or two, stick the hose under the wort / beer level and let it fly!

Jekster,
I'd look real close at that joint while you're running the siphon. You may find that air is getting sucked in. It's not enough to stop the siphon all the time, but you're risking oxidation. There's a chance based on allowable tolerances that your cane is a little larger and your tubing is a little smaller, but most of us have had major problems with that combination.

I have not had a problem. I heated the end of the tubing in hot water, slipped it right on. Only problem is that it is so tight I cant get it off now!

bigkevj said:
I have not had a problem. I heated the end of the tubing in hot water, slipped it right on. Only problem is that it is so tight I cant get it off now!

There's a trick to it. Pinch the tubing where it connects to the racking cane with the side of your index finger and thumb. Pinch the racking cane the same way close to the tubing. Then rest, with a firm grip, the thumb of the hand on the tubing where the tubing connects to the racking cane and that will create a pivot point. Firmly pivot the tubing off the racking cane in a similar motion to breaking a pencil. The tubing will come off or at least move a bit. You may have to rock it back and forth a few times to get the tubing completely off but this meathod works great for me!!!

Beerrific said:
Interesting, mine definitely said 5/16'' I know becuase I was I told SWMBO "Ah, 3/8'' will work." After sucking a bunch of air into my beer and getting pissed, she rolled her eyes at me and I got some 5/16''. Is yours Fermtech? Maybe they updated the instructions.

Yeah, mine's a Fermtech. Recently purchased cuz my old one was sketchy. I also picked up the newer, small one (it'll fit in 1gallon jug necks) but I haven't opened that one so I know I didn't mix the instructions around.
they probably printed off one bad batch and distributed several thousand before catching it.

Anyone had problems getting it back together after cleaning it? It says that it can be disassembled for cleaning and sanitizing, but now I can't get the damn thing back together. Thoughts?

When they say dissassemble, they mean removing the inner cane from the outer tube and maybe taking the little racking tip off. Now, if you've completely torn things apart, you've gone too far.

Back