how much hops for a 1gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warofdawn

Reaction score
hey guys I’m new and this is my first post. I’m very new to brewing i have only made two batches of beer the first one came out good very strong second one was an experiment and i kinda just threw things together short story it sucked. any way that’s my introduction my question is in the title i want to know how much hops i should have when brewing a 1 gallon batch I’m mainly doing wheat beer and i see a few recipes that call for 1 ounce for 5 gallons but with my first beer i did 1 ounce of hops and i didn’t know if when trying a new recipe if i should go under 1 ounce of hops or just leave it at an ounce.

here is a recipe example i want to try was wondering when i cut the batch down for 1 gallon size if i should drop the hops below 1 oz or not and if i should leave the finishing at a 1/2 oz or go smaller any insight you guys can give would be great thanks

Ingredients:
6 gallon recipe

6.6lbs Irks Wheat extract
1-2 lbs Amber Dry Malt Extract
2 cups Carapils
1 1/2 oz Hallatter hops (bittering)
1 tsp Irish moss
1/2 Saaz hops (finishing)
3 1/2 quarts FROZEN blackberries added to help cool wort
1 cup corn sugar for priming

I have recently begun brewing 1 gallon batches myself. I use BeerSmith to scale down my recipes. You will use much less hops with these batches. The thing to get is a gram/ounce scale. Some recipes call for ex. 0.46 ounces of bittering hops and even less for flavoring and aroma additions. I rarely use more than 1 ounce of hops in a 1 gallon batch.

Recipes scale linearly. Divide all ingredients by 6 if the recipe is for a 6 gallon batch. the only exception will be the yeast.

If you are just starting out brewing though, I would recommend doing slightly larger batches. My guess is your equipment might be holding you back, but such a small batch size is going to be very fickle. You are going to need more precise measurements, and there will be a lot more room for error. Upping your batch size to maybe 2.5 gallons or so would help, and only slightly raise your cost. At least IME, hops and yeast are the most expensive ingredients, and I have never seen hops for sale for less than 1 oz increments, and you just have to buy a whole pack of yeast.

Try the free trial BEER-SMITH program. You can easily figure it out. Buy it you'll like it when building your own recipes.

Get a scale that will measure in grams and convert from ounces to grams. Much easier and more precise to part out very small quantities.

Back