brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of brown are you looking for? I've got a pretty good recipe book that I'll look through for you...

British, American, Flanders, Nut, Honey.....

just let me know...

take it easy

The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide

I really like it, it's got a lot of cool/interesting recipes in it.

hmm.. the recipe is AG...shouldn't be hard at all to change to extract or PM

ok here goes

Nutty Brown

7 LB Pale 2-row
1/2 LB Chocolate Malt
1/2 LB Crystal 90L
1/8 LB Black Patent

1 OZ Willamette (Bittering)-1hr
1 OZ Perle (Flavoring)-30min
1/2 OZ Willamette (Aroma)-steep 10min at flameout

1/2 tsp Irish Moss
1 tsp Gypsum

1 pkg Whitbread Ale Yeast

1 cup Corn Sugar (Priming)

shouldn't be hard to convert like I said bc everything but the 2-row is a steeping grain.

let me know if you want help converting it

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, help would be great if you have time. I'm very new to the whole brewing process and need to do a lot of reading. Thanks!

Yeah no problem man....thats why this place is here.

Since all the other grains are steeping grains you could just steep those in a bag like normal.

ok here is what my book says and it's pretty easy, I'd write this down bc I use it ALL the time to convert recipies:

AG to Extract:
Amount of pale malt X .8125=amount of LME

Amount of pale malt X .6875=amount of DME

(there is also one for wheat malt but we don't need that here...)

SO for this current recipe you would need

7 X .8125=5.68 LB of LME.....just round to 5.5 or you could probubly get away with 6.66 (2 cans) if you buy them that way but I'm not exactly sure....I know it would boost the alcohol content though

OR

7 X.6875=4.81 LB of DME....could probubly just round to 5 LB

Probubly the best thing to do if you buy in cans would be...

convert 1 can of LME (3.33 LB) to Grain then get the remainder from DME...

SO:

Amount of LME X 1.23= grain

3.33 X 1.23= 4

so we'd take 3 lb of grain and convert it to DME

3 X .6875=2

SO you'd need 1 can of LME and 2 LB of DME then the rest of the ingredients...

take it easy and good luck

Is the ratio of LME and DME to grain universal or does it vary with the type of LME or DME (e.g., amber, pale, etc.)?

Proofman said:
Is the ratio of LME and DME to grain universal or does it vary with the type of LME or DME (e.g., amber, pale, etc.)?

Always the same. However, I've heard that one brand (Laaglanders) has less fermentables and leaves your beer with a higher final gravity. I've never used it, though, I don't know that for sure. Otherwise, I use whatever brand my LHBS has.

proofman thats for pale lme/dme....

amber, dark and whatever else has specialty grains mixed into it when it's malted and condensed.

so it's better to buy pale or extra pale and add your own specialty grains to it

take it easy

Back