Speakeasy Brewery Clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefflandis

Reaction score
I have looked around and have not been able to find any clone recipes of the beers brewed at Speakeasy Brewery (San Francisco, goodbeer.com), like Big Daddy, double Big Daddy, etc.

Has anyone come across these before? Let me know. They are good beers, would love to try and brew a batch myself.

Their website has info on the malt bill (just pale and munich) and the hop schedule, but not specific hop varieties (which is probably the most important thing for cloning an IPA or DIPA). You might try sending them an email to see which “Pacific Northwest Hops” they use (almost certainly some combination of Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Amarillo.

That's great idea. I am actually going to tour their brewery this Friday. I will add my questions about the hops along the way. I will report back.

Yeah, please let us know if you've found anything out! I had a few (well, more than a few) pints of the Hunters Point Porter last winter, before I started brewing, and it was super good. Would love to clone that, as well as a number of others.

Guess I could just try to get to that brewery tour sometime.

I was at "brews on the bay" on 9/12 and they were one of my favorites that were there. There were a lot of fresh hop ales tis the season for them but there's was one of the best. it was their IPA but done with fresh hops, man it was good.

Yup, this is one clean brew. Great flavor, nice hopiness without being overboard, and a clean, crisp finish. Any info on the recipe (other than 2-row and munich) would be great.

The ones I have had from Speakeasy have been very good. I get a lot of Columbus in the Prohibition and Big Daddy beers.

I know this is an old thread.............. But .... this is a GREAT beer.... Has anyone tried a clone???

Here are the basic details that I found on Prohibition by speakeasy.
Speakeasy Ales and Lagers
American Amber Ale
ABV: 6.1%
IBU: 24

I found one recipe for it, but is likely not a very good clone way to high IBU's according to Beersmith, so I guess back to searching the web, but here it is anyway...

That clone recipe wouldn't even come out close to the original. Im working on a prohibition clone myself. I've got a grain bill I'm satisfied with. It's gonna be the hop schedule that is going to be difficult to duplicate. Gonna take a lot of taste testing of the original and trial and error.

This is what I've come up with so far. I have yet to brew this recipe, so Im not making any claims that this should even be called a clone for Prohibition.

Prohabition Amber Ale
American Amber Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 8/4/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal Brewer: EVB
Boil Size: 8.41 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 7.28 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal Est Mash Efficiency 84.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 6.6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.2 %
1 lbs 5.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.4 %
1 lbs 5.1 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.4 %
0.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 26.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 8.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 3.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 5.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 10 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 43.4 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 15.0 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 0.8 oz
Sparge Water: 5.71 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 20.76 qt of water at 164.1 F 154.0 F 60 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.10gal, 4.61gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 4.12 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 4.12 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Please let us know how this clone compares to the original. Looking to brew something like this myself, but I would dry hop it.

That one still needs some work before im ready to give it a run. Mainly the hop schedule. Just a rough draft. Im thinking of sticking with the late additions to start with and see where i end up, then see if some dry hopping is necessary from there. I really need to go buy another six pack and take some tasting notes.

Bringing an old threat back to life...has there been any successfully tested clone of Prohibition?

I have looked around and have not been able to find any clone recipes of the beers brewed at Speakeasy Brewery (San Francisco, goodbeer.com), like Big Daddy, double Big Daddy, etc.

Has anyone come across these before? Let me know. They are good beers, would love to try and brew a batch myself.

brewer was my old roommate. then brewed for us at our brewery. some of the recipes are his, some have come later. depends on what you're trying to clone.

Back