Linux Mint 7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
****ING ROCKS

Fastest install ever- On top of that it makes this old laptop scream. My other Lappy is a Vista machine. New. Its a dog compared to this 3 year old Laptop.

Plus Mint 7 is WAY user friendly.

Mint is an Ubuntu spin-off (Mint 7's base set of packages come from Ubuntu 9/Jaunty). Mint improves upon Ubuntu's user-friendly approach. It's a great success in my book!

FYI, Mint isn't completely Gnome-based. Mint's KDE desktop release usually lags a few weeks behind the main Gnome release.

Heard about it but never used it. I've only used Fedora and Arch. Like I said in another post, I really wish Adobe software supported Linux. If it did I would primarily use Linux. I've noticed it becoming more and more user friendly, which is what it needs to get more mainstream and get more support. Fedora 11 is out in 6 days or so. I may mess around with that.

Nope, nor the commercial equivalent (forget the name). Some programs work ok, but I need all the programs I use (Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc, all CS3) to work flawlessly.

Downloading now, how do you get the "live" version so you can boot right up off the CD to check it out? Or is that a separate program you have to pick up?

Nope, nor the commercial equivalent (forget the name). Some programs work ok, but I need all the programs I use (Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc, all CS3) to work flawlessly.

Unless you use those programs professionally, there are quite a few good equivalents for those in Linux. I used to use Dreamweaver and Photoshop religiously, but now I use Linux and have Quanta (instead of Dreamweaver) and GIMP (instead of Pshop).

Ever used Ubuntu? How does it compare, I see that mint is also Gnome.

Its the same thing.

Mint is just Ubuntu with green wallpaper and Mint Tools. If you have Ubuntu already you can add the Mint Tools through apt.

Mint Tools are pretty cool, but thats the only difference. Everything else is Ubuntu with ubuntu-restricted-extras installed by default, compiz installed by default, and green theme.

A few of the Mint Tools are really nice though. It would be my preferred flavor of Ubuntu if it wasn't that hideous green - lol

I might change to Mint when Karmic Koala comes out because its rumored they're going to change my beloved brown to something else.

Unless you use those programs professionally, there are quite a few good equivalents for those in Linux. I used to use Dreamweaver and Photoshop religiously, but now I use Linux and have Quanta (instead of Dreamweaver) and GIMP (instead of Pshop).

by the way, you should have no trouble at all with Flash since Adobe has a Linux native flash player

So what is all of this Mint is Gnome. Shouldn't it be Gnome, KDE, xwindows etc... are all options for the xserver to run?

Maybe I have been out of linux a little too long but I remember having choices and compiled what I wanted to run. Well this was back in the slackware 7 days at least.

I did use a newer version last year and got the 3d desktop working with an old geforce2 card, that took some extra work.

So what happened to go ol' source? Seems like I had less problems compiling from source that using some tgz or rpm file.

Back