Tastes change after illness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkeeg

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm sure this will pass, but thought it a marginally interesting thing to share...
I had strep throat over the holidays, so no turkey, beer, or wine at any of the three xmas dinners we went to :(
However... starting to get back on my feet and decided to "force" down a brew.. my inlaws had a mini-can of some carribbean beer, so I poured a glass and WOW... BITTTER ... like... majorly dominated by hop flavor.. almost unpleasant. A day later I try a Stella - wow... same thing! and SKUNKY! (I've never really identified a 'skunky' flavor before). Now, Stella has never been a favorite beer, but this was almost undrinkable.. weird.

Just as a curiousity.. has anyone else ever had a sudden (temporary I hope!) change in taste perception?

I've noticed the same thing after a serious flu or sinus infection.

Some medications can temporarily effect your taste and smell.

It should go back to normal in a short time. If it doesn't I'd get checked out if I were you.

If you had strep, then you were also on an antibiotic. They can change your taste perception. Plus, if you had other complications like a "cold" virus, etc., then that can really affect your taste. Give it time... at least until you're off your antibiotics. And please don't stop taking them before doctor's orders... even if you fell better.

Sadly lots of medications will F up your taste perception. It is a side effect of the drugs. Believe me I know from first hand experience.

:mad:

Illness will do that too though. Your sense of smell and taste are linked so if one or the other is off they both suffer.

Just be glad you are not on any medications "full time". Your taste will recover.

I do not know how long you have been a craft/homebrew beer drinker but another thing to be aware of is your tastes and perceptions will become more attuned the more you learn about beer flavors and brewing. You will begin to scrutinize beers more. What once tasted fine may become undrinkable!

Oh, and Stella is a skunky beer. Anything in a green bottle generally will be. So perhaps your tastebuds were actually heightened in sensitivity!

Interesting. Everything's pretty much back to normal now. (And whew, good thing too! What would I do with these built-in taps if I suddenly stopped liking beer?! :eek: ) What a weird thing though... such a sudden shift in taste perception!

Interesting. Everything's pretty much back to normal now. (And whew, good thing too! What would I do with these built-in taps if I suddenly stopped liking beer?! :eek: ) What a weird thing though... such a sudden shift in taste perception!

Oh man, sorry to tell you, but you will never like beer again. Go ahead and send me the taps and put it all out of your mind.
I am just doing this for your own good...... and because Big Kahuna hasn't beat me to it!

Oh man, sorry to tell you, but you will never like beer again. Go ahead and send me the taps and put it all out of your mind.
I am just doing this for your own good...... and because Big Kahuna hasn't beat me to it!

Paging Evan!

Better run...

My father-in-law was on a med that basically took away his taste. Talk about awful. Yes, the strep might do it, but a sinus infection or antibiotics can also really affect your taste. Give it time.

Yea, I've known people who have lost either taste or smell and in one case both senses. That would suck.

Back