Calculating IBUs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Can someone give me a primer or provide a link to a primer for calculating IBUs? In other words, I want to know how to convert recipes based upon the type of hops I use. For instance, if I have a recipe that calls for 1.5 oz. pellet hops, is there some sort of conversion that I must make if I want to use whole hops?

Surely the measurements are not the same . . . are they?

If a recipe calls for pellet hops, use about 15-20% more whole hops. Or that's what I've read, anyway.

hop plugs are whole hops that are pressed into the plug shape. Use them the same as whole hops.

-walker

You can use www.hbg.org/recipator and tell it if you are using whole or pellet hops and it will change the calculations accordingly. I used to do all of the calculations by hand, but I noticed that when I was checking against the recipator it always gave me the same result that I had calculated (unlike several other brewing software programs), so I use that now.

I didn't think it mattered as far as calculations go. I thought 1 oz of 5% AAU whole hops are the same as 1 oz 5% AAU pellet hops. Am I wrong?

Lil' Sparky said:
I didn't think it mattered as far as calculations go. I thought 1 oz of 5% AAU whole hops are the same as 1 oz 5% AAU pellet hops. Am I wrong?

Due to the fact that the pellets are ground up, you get better utilization out of them in the boil. The general rule of thumb is 1 oz of whole hops is equivalent to 0.85 oz of pellets.

-walker

yeah, the utilization rate is different between the pellet and leaf. over the course of a 60 minute boil it can add up.

I use whole hops almost exclusively. I guess maybe that's why some of my "high IBU" brews didn't seem as bitter as I expected.

Back