Am I frementing too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireloo

Reaction score
I started a batch of cherry "wine" Friday afternoon for my wife.

Rehydrated and pitched about half a packet of Cotes des blanc on a gallon of cherry juice.

SWMBO does not want the end product to be too dry so I'm fermenting (actually, apparently not yet) in a cooler with a frozen water bottle to keep temp between 55-60.

Since I'm not seeing activity, should I let the juice warm up to room temp (68-70)?

If so, would it only need a day or so at room temp after airlock activity then back in the cooler?

Thanks for any help.

I ferment most of my wines in the 70s. The best way to know the best fermenting temperature is to go to the manufacturer's website, but I think cotes des blanc likes mid 70s, so I think you're too cold.

I never heard of keeping yeast cold to inhibit it fermenting dry. I think it will ferment dry and then it's best backsweetened if you want it sweetened. I don't think stressing the yeast will provide you the sweetness you're looking for.

It depends on the yeast you use but yes I would say that you are fermenting way too cold. And no your gunna need to leave it at that room temp the entire time.(We are talking weeks here not days)

As for not having a dry wine you can just add stabalizer after fermentation is complete and then add some sugar to increase the sweetness. Moving it to a cooler temp is not gunna stop it from being dry. Your just gunna get a very slow fermentation ...

Not sure what your skill level is but stabalizer with kill off your yeast which will allow you to add sugar without it being converted. I let my wine ferment out completly then age for a few months. Then before bottling I add stabalizer and then sugar to increase the sweetness.

Best of luck
Grimmy

Thanks for the answers. Yeah, I don't have a skill level. At least with wine.

I'm not sure throwing yeast on fruit juice qualifies as wine anyway.

The description I read on Cotes said ferm temps are 50 - 80 and that it leaves some residual sweetness if fremented at the lower end of the scale.

I like you alls suggestions better. Ferment at more like 70 and stabilize then back sweeten.

Just understand, when it is finished fermenting, I'll be back for suggestions on how to best do that.

Thanks again.

Back