Your favorite band or album that nobody ever heard of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corkybstewart

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just listened to Time Was from the Wishbone Ash album Argus, probably my all time favorite album, followed by a Uriah Heep song from Demons and Wizards. It hit me that every thread I see about music here is from you youngsters with no appreciation of where your music came from. So who do you love that I've never heard of?

Not super obscure, but the four albums I think everybody ought to listen to at least once are as follows:
Ween - The Mollusk
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Orange
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Morphine - Good
-Dude

I understand where you're coming from. Being a 57 year old progger I listen to prog, early music, baroque, and classical mostly. Most of modern day artists and their music don't do it for me either, some worthwhile exceptions noted.

I remember those 2 albums all too well. Actually I saw Wishbone Ash at ProgDay 2003.

Obscure albums? I got a long, long list. But here's one for you:
Flash - Out of Our Hands (1973)

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favs is the album Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever.
Not really obsure, cuz they were pretty popular back in the day, but Blood, Sweat & Tears is another of my favs. They're kind of "obscure" now, simply because so few people play that music anymore.

There are a couple of tunes on the Frank Zappa album The Greatest Band You Never Heard In Your Life. Especially The Torture Never Stops parts 1 & 2. And they do a version of Stairway to Heaven That I like. The rest of the album I can take or leave, but the aforementioned tunes are outstanding.

There is a recording of Black Coffee that I've been looking for since 1998 & STILL haven't found. To me, that makes it "obscure." I know there are several artists who've recorded it, including Sarah Vaughan, Peggy Lee & Ella Fitzgerald, but I'm looking for a more contemporary recording.

Seems that the lovely female singing was a guest on the album of a saxaphone player, can't remember his name. What makes this particular recording unique is that there is no orchestral open and no piano in the arrangement; only that soulful sax & that sultry voice. I heard it on an NPR radio music show in 1998 & tried to contact NPR, the show producers, the show host & I got ZERO responses. I keep looking every now & then, but odds are not in favor of me finding it.
If this info rings a bell, let me know, OK?
Regards, GF.

I used to listen to Uriah Heep back in the day! It's been about 35 years since I've even thought about them.

I'll have to pull out some of that music tonight because I do think it will bring back a ton of memories!

I don't really listen to anything "unknown" but I'm sort of stuck in 90s grunge and someone at NHC told me that I needed to listen to Porcupine Tree so I've been into them lately. Otherwise, I listen quite a bit to Mark Lanegan (from the Screaming Trees).

Other than Tom Waits (my all time favorite) and some Neil Young (Bob's favorite), I don't usually listen to much besides 90s grunge too often.

Chic Corea and Al DiMiola aren't that obscure, and I have Return to Forever on vinyl. Along with several Zappas. I think the most obscure, and my all time favorite Zappa album is Bongo Fury by Zappa/Beefheart.

I guess my favorite slightly obscure album to spring on unsuspecting hipsters is Fun House by The Stooges.

Lightning Bolt- Wonderful Rainbow

Track: Dracula Mountain
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eQRt5E-JJfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oneida- Secret Wars

Track: Caesar's Column
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g1bGVJhQmwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lightning Bolt- Wonderful Rainbow

Track: Dracula Mountain
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eQRt5E-JJfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw them about 7-8 years ago. I still have a video of it somewhere. The drummer/singer is crazy good.

i'll play with:
The melvins
tomahawk

not super obscure but most kids probably don't now about them.
:rockin:

Lotus Plaza- Spooky Action at a Distance

Track: Jet out of the Tundra
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xqqMuqUp_Lo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lee Hazlewood- The Very Special World of Lee Hazlewood

Track: I Move Around
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g6JPd0G4IJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw them about 7-8 years ago. I still have a video of it somewhere. The drummer/singer is crazy good.

i'll play with:
The melvins
tomahawk

not super obscure but most kids probably don't now about them.
:rockin:

Nice, dude!!

I used to listen to Uriah Heep back in the day! It's been about 35 years since I've even thought about them.

I'll have to pull out some of that music tonight because I do think it will bring back a ton of memories!

I don't really listen to anything "unknown" but I'm sort of stuck in 90s grunge and someone at NHC told me that I needed to listen to Porcupine Tree so I've been into them lately. Otherwise, I listen quite a bit to Mark Lanegan (from the Screaming Trees).

Other than Tom Waits (my all time favorite) and some Neil Young (Bob's favorite), I don't usually listen to much besides 90s grunge too often.

Yoop, have you heard of the Gutter Twins? It's a side project between Mark Lanegan and Greg Dulli from the Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers. They only have one album and an iTunes-exclusive EP, but it's good stuff.

Yoop, have you heard of the Gutter Twins? It's a side project between Mark Lanegan and Greg Dulli from the Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers. They only have one album and an iTunes-exclusive EP, but it's good stuff.

I'm listening to it now, on Spotify! Thanks for the tip.

Bob googled this album and found a review that called this duo "The Satanic Everly Brothers". Sort of a good description, as I always think of Lanegan as having this dark voice. Anyway, thanks- we like it!

A couple come to mind...
Kyuss-Blues for the Red Sun is absolutely off the hook. Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age's first band. "Wretch" by Kyuss is great as well. "Stoner Metal" I guess

Scatterbrain-Here Comes Trouble: Thrash metal or "skater thrash". I like Suicidal Tendencies as well. I've been "rediscovering them" lately.

The Jungle Brothers. Considered to be one of the "Fathers of Hip Hop/Rap". They could really lay it down back in the day. I like Eric B. and Rakim as well for old-school hip hop.

No signs of hipster-ness over here...

I'm a big fan of The Whitest Boy Alive - Dreams
and The Brothers Comatose - Respect the Van

Wilco does a huge festival here in town each year, and to open things up they did a 2+hour set of all fan-requests, which meant that it was almost entirely cover songs. Thus, we've been rocking a lot of old, obscure punk as of late - Modern Lovers and Television have become particular favorites.

Every record by:

The Avett Brothers
The SteelDrivers
Old Crow Medicine Show

The Incredible String Band's second album, 5000 Spirits/The layer of The Onions. There first album was also good.

The Eyeliners.

3 sisters from Albuquerque, NM playing Power Pop Punk. used to be on Lookout! Records, signed with Joan Jett's Blackheart Records, then just quit.

+1 on the Avett brothers
Acoustic Syndicate
The Upton Brothers
Big Daddy Love
The Silent Comedy
The Heavy

Atom and His Package when I need a quick fix of 8-bit synth-punk. How can you compete with songs like "I'm Downright Amazed at what I Can Destroy with Just a Hammer"?

The Ditty Bops. My wife loves their music. Honestly, I prefer watching them sing. I am only human.

King Missile- I know everyone has heard Detachable Penis, but the stuff off their Failure album resonated for some weird reason.

Grand Buffet- "charmschool regrets bets started placed and locked, my right arm's regarded as a 'Saint' at ring-toss. Spanning the globe on a tanning bed wearing a helmet to insulate the bull**** in my head..."

Watsky- Hands down, for my money, the single best rapper out there.

Atom and His Package when I need a quick fix of 8-bit synth-punk. How can you compete with songs like "I'm Downright Amazed at what I Can Destroy with Just a Hammer"?

The Ditty Bops. My wife loves their music. Honestly, I prefer watching them sing. I am only human.

King Missile- I know everyone has heard Detachable Penis, but the stuff off their Failure album resonated for some weird reason.

Grand Buffet- "charmschool regrets bets started placed and locked, my right arm's regarded as a 'Saint' at ring-toss. Spanning the globe on a tanning bed wearing a helmet to insulate the bull**** in my head..."

Watsky- Hands down, for my money, the single best rapper out there.

Happy Birthday Ralph, I love you. Even if you are f****** disgusting. Happy Birthday Ralph, I love you. Even though you have a beard.

A couple come to mind...
Kyuss-Blues for the Red Sun is absolutely off the hook. Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age's first band. "Wretch" by Kyuss is great as well. "Stoner Metal" I guess

Scatterbrain-Here Comes Trouble: Thrash metal or "skater thrash". I like Suicidal Tendencies as well. I've been "rediscovering them" lately.

The Jungle Brothers. Considered to be one of the "Fathers of Hip Hop/Rap". They could really lay it down back in the day. I like Eric B. and Rakim as well for old-school hip hop.

No signs of hipster-ness over here...

Scatterbrain was on full repeat back in the day! The whole family sometimes cranks it up in the car now.

T is for my TIME in Jail
R Rot Gut
O Overdose
U an Ugly Lot
B forgot what that is for.. Oh yeah, BLACKOUT!
L Liver Damage
E is for ELEGANCE oh well at least I ain't got that!

Steve Vai turned me on to them by showing their Hey Dude! video.

My current favorite unknown band is Euforquestra, out of Iowa/Colorado. Saw them at two beer festivals in Northern Michigan and you can (probably) download their entire Soup album from their website. Jazz/Reggae/Cuban/awesome style of music.

Also discovered Ella Riot at a beer festival and even though they are now defunct, the lead singer, Michele, came in second place in the most recent The Voice competition!

Back