Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerFingers

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am going to brew up a half batch of Wildflower Wheat in a few days and the recipe calls for Wyeast 1010.

Well....I don't have 1010, but I do have a few different yeasts that may work as a substitutes. I have read that US-05 will work, but I do have some smackpacks that I really should use first.

Here is what I have:

1) Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend
2) Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
3) Wyeast 2575 Kolsch II
4) US-05
5) Pacman slurry

what would you use?

A lot of American wheat recipes use kolsch yeast and I've seen a few wheats in the recipe section that used kolsch and won compititions.

Yeah, I have taken all 3 of those things into consideration. Bavarian will be spicier (not necessarily what I am going for in this beer), and both Kolsch + US-05 will get me there as well.

I may just lean toward the Kolsch, make a starter and use US-05 if I need a backup plan.

So I made a starter with the Kolsch yeast yesterday. The yeast is very dark (almost like med-dark maple syrup in terms of color). It doesn't smell bad- a little cidery, but the color is a kind of off-putting and I really didn't see any activity. I will check it again later today and if worse comes to worse go with US-05.

So I made a starter with the Kolsch yeast yesterday. The yeast is very dark (almost like med-dark maple syrup in terms of color). It doesn't smell bad- a little cidery, but the color is a kind of off-putting and I really didn't see any activity. I will check it again later today and if worse comes to worse go with US-05.

Dont hate them just because they're brown.

i made a wheat with wyeast 1010 and it was not very good, for american wheats i use US-05 with very good results. i used kolsch once, my first all grain beer and it was excellent.

not hating because they are brown....if I were pitching into an amber or anything darker I wouldn't care, but I am pitching into a rather light beer.

thanks for the input eastoak...

I will try to decant off some of the liquid from the Kolsch starter and if I can't get a majority of the dark liquid off (for my SRM 5-6 beer) then I will just pitch a pack of US-05 and call it a day.

I'm going to brew an American Wheat next week and have ordered S-05 but when I am waiting for my stuff to be delivered I would like to try and harvest a strain like 1010 from a commercial beer. Does anyone know a beer that I could try this with? Unfortunately I live in Germany so I don't have access to many american craft beers. Maybe some European beers are using this strain now? If not then I'll stick with the S-05 for now.

I'm going to brew an American Wheat next week and have ordered S-05 but when I am waiting for my stuff to be delivered I would like to try and harvest a strain like 1010 from a commercial beer. Does anyone know a beer that I could try this with? Unfortunately I live in Germany so I don't have access to many american craft beers. Maybe some European beers are using this strain now? If not then I'll stick with the S-05 for now.

Can you find Fermentis K-97 dried yeast? Wyeast 1007 from Zum Uerige or another altbier yeast would work. I have used 1007 many times. Good yeast.

Seems like Jamil said american wheat yeast came from a Kolsch yeast. Might have been the style section from a BYO edition.

I just split a 10 gallon batch with 05 and 1010. Great results with both. I added some different fruits to both but I tried them before I did that. The 1010 was more tart and I got a little apple with it. The 05 was clean as expected. I fermented them around 64 (beer temp). I really like both and my wife likes them even more.

Back