New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marcb:

On the carboy filter, is there something to prevent the mesh from fraying at the top? Hard to tell from your pix. I am pretty sure I want two of these...

stonebrewer said:
marcb:

On the carboy filter, is there something to prevent the mesh from fraying at the top? Hard to tell from your pix. I am pretty sure I want two of these...

Not on the prototype but I'll get some tighter pics of it, that's good feedback though for Chad.

Several reasons, scorching being the biggest one. Having the spider on the bottom probably would cause the basket to dislodge from the lip of the kettle as it would likely bounce up and down. I wasn't worried about expense as these are pretty inexpensive and going from a 14" to a 16" or 17" probably would have been less than $10 bucks. Reading on here most people don't have them on the bottom and it might be a-okay to do so, but I am pretty happy with where I am at.

Thanks for the additional detail.

Scorching of what? Trub? Trapped liquor getting heated up and not being able to escape?

I'm toying with the idea of recirculating into one of these like you are doing or using a larger basket as a true hop spider with boil turbulence coming up through the basket from below. This would probably require a larger dimension mesh or false bottom on the basket bottom (or even an open bottom) to assure the boil comes up through the basket without bouncing the basket.

The fact you are happy with your recirculation solution is a vote in favor of that direction, though...

Thanks for the additional detail.

Scorching of what? Trub? Trapped liquor getting heated up and not being able to escape?

I'm toying with the idea of recirculating into one of these like you are doing or using a larger basket as a true hop spider with boil turbulence coming up through the basket from below. This would probably require a larger dimension mesh or false bottom on the basket bottom (or even an open bottom) to assure the boil comes up through the basket without bouncing the basket.

The fact you are happy with your recirculation solution is a vote in favor of that direction, though...

It seems that people that set the filter on the bottom of their kettle during the boil have trapped some wort and scorched it. I think that there is a solution for this although I'm still not convinced that it does anything for hop utilization based on my observations (except maybe eliminate stirring as the bubbles coming up through the basket will agitate the hop matter for you).

Yep. Anytime I have wort, water, even air, trapped between two surfaces in boiling liquid I have gotten scorching on my kettle. I guess the trapped liquid or gas superheats and actually leaves marks on my stainless. Happens all the time when I boil canning jars for yeast washing.

It seems that people that set the filter on the bottom of their kettle during the boil have trapped some wort and scorched it....

Not only that, but in another thread users reported that by placing the basket or the stainless ring (on a slightly different basket design) on the bottom of the BK, instead of it forcing the boiling wort to go through the bottom mesh the wort goes around the basket, following the path of least resistance apparently.

I think that there is a solution for this although I'm still not convinced that it does anything for hop utilization based on my observations (except maybe eliminate stirring as the bubbles coming up through the basket will agitate the hop matter for you).

If there is a solution, someone please point to it.

One user even went to the extreme of getting a basket that fit his entire BK to force more wort to go through the bottom mesh. He found that most of the boiling wort still preferred to go around the outside, spurting out from the sides now, creating bigger problems than he had foreseen, as you can imagine.

I've been following this thread closely and am ready to order one of these, except I'm not set on the size yet, and now again, the screen aperture issue.

Size:
One of my recent brews had 6 oz of hop pellets in a 5 gallon batch. For an experiment I saved out all the trub this time, and it yielded 2 quarts. This is 2 take-out soup containers full of expanded hop fiber!

When I stack these on top of each other they are about 4" wide and 10" tall, taking up nearly the whole space of a 4"x10" hop basket. This made me wonder about this mass creating severe circulation restrictions within the basket, if I were to use one that size.

Given I don't brew hoppy beers like those every time, it is enough to consider a larger size.

I don't know how you guys fare with a 4x10" or 4x14" for 10 gallon batches, but you must be ending up with pretty full baskets, even for moderate hop bills.

What are your findings here?

My 8 gallon brew kettle is 14" wide by 12" tall. I'm thinking of getting a 6x11" hanging off the edge. Or even an 8x11".

Screen aperture:
For recirculation purposes it seems that 400 micron is preferred over 300. In earlier discussions here 300 was preferred over the 400 for better hop fiber filtering. So we may be at the compromise/optimal point here.

Whatever matter makes it through the 400 micron basket, I am doubtful a bazooka screen will really filter it out, those are pretty course. I saw some pictures of the false bottom trapping a lot of that fine sludge, which is remarkable, given the size holes in those.

At the moment I use a stainless braid on the bottom as my only trub filter, and although nothing gets through, it also clogs badly at the onsight of any trub, as soon as I switch the pump on for recirculation or feeding my plate chiller. So the hop basket will remedy that issue very quickly. I'm leaning toward the 300 micron for better filtering.

It seems that people that set the filter on the bottom of their kettle during the boil have trapped some wort and scorched it. I think that there is a solution for this although I'm still not convinced that it does anything for hop utilization based on my observations (except maybe eliminate stirring as the bubbles coming up through the basket will agitate the hop matter for you).

Got it - so the concern is that the wort is getting trapped, overheating, and scorching. And I suppose if bubbles/air can get trapped in that space, it could almost become like having a big air bubble trapped against the bottom of the BK - not good!

Has anyone tried leaving the bottom open on one of these (obviously resting on the kettle floor? You might have to do something to affix the spider to the kettle near the top lip so it wont be easily dislodged and will maintain a relatively tight seal against the kettle bottom, but this would certainly address any concerns related to trapped wort/scorching (only for those of us that are not using electric elements in the BK - sorry :)

...Has anyone tried leaving the bottom open on one of these (obviously resting on the kettle floor?

You might have to do something to affix the spider to the kettle near the top lip so it wont be easily dislodged and will maintain a relatively tight seal against the kettle bottom...

See my previous reply. One vendor makes the baskets with a SS ring on the bottom which would create somewhat of a seal. In that thread the idea was tested and not found successful.

I had 7 ounces of pellets in the 4x10 and it did not completely fill it...probably between a quarter to a half full after drain. Were you using pellet or leaf when you got 2 quarts? That seems awfully high. I do ten gallon batches and if it had been that full, I probably would have considered a larger diameter myself...

My last batch was only about 4 ounces, but 2.5 of that was leaf and it was definitely going to be a full basket with all those flowers! So I dumped half in the boil and half in the basket and let my bazooka handle the leaf. I really think you only need the spider for pellet hops anyway.

I had 7 ounces of pellets in the 4x10 and it did not completely fill it...

So during the boil it is quite full with 7oz of pellets. That's what I would expect.
Does it feel or look too overcrowded or still fine?
How far was the wort from the top edge of that 4x10 basket?

...probably between a quarter to a half full after drain....

Would you say about 3.5-4" high, well drained? That was sweetcell's 4x10 300-micron basket, right?

You now have a customized 4x14 400-micron from what I gather.

Yeah, I ended up with 2 wonderful fragrant quarts from those 6 oz. Astonishing!
Now I didn't drain mine thoroughly, just scooped it out the bottom of the drained BK with a measuring cup. So there was (thinned) wort with it, yes.

After a few days, those hops were one stiff spongy mass though, they kept absorbed all the extra liquid apparently. Still expelling an amazingly good smell (Chinook, Amarillo, Cascade, and Simcoe!)

So I had an idea that I sketched up with Chad and he's already working on a prototype for me to test out for the filter resting on the bottom of the kettle without scorching.... Stay tuned ; )

So I had an idea that I sketched up with Chad and he's already working on a prototype for me to test out for the filter resting on the bottom of the kettle without scorching.... Stay tuned ; )

Will do! Very interested in the outcome of this initiative...

-fafrd

So I die stamped some 300 micron discs and welded them to the top, Per request from you guy's .
Here's a picture.
They are listed for sale on my website now and will be ready to ship Monday 3/4
It is 11-1/2"x2-3/4" 300 micron. $45 Free shipping

0302131631.jpg

0220131544.jpg

Marc, when all is set and done, did you end up preferring the 300 or 400 micron boil kettle filter?

Hi, I ended up preferring the 300. For me it was fundamentally about keeping the gunk out of my chillers and the 300 balances that with decent flow and easy cleanup.

Subscribed. I've been thinking of contacting Johnson filters for something like this. Cmon payday!

So I die stamped some 300 micron discs and welded them to the top, Per request from you guy's .
Here's a picture.
They are listed for sale on my website now and will be ready to ship Monday 3/4
It is 11-1/2"x2-3/4" 300 micron. $45 Free shipping

Mine arrived on the porch this afternoon, was in the keg with three ounces of hops in an IPA that was waiting for it 30 minutes later.

I'd post pics, but that's already been covered. It looks just as solid and well made as the hop blocker and the welded-in disc is a nice touch.

I'll know in a few weeks how much three ounces of keg hops fills this thing it up. Seems a lot roomier than the tea balls I've tried before :mug:

Edit: I also recently got a new BK and the hop blocker juuuust fits in it. It's definitely contacting the bottom. I didn't get any scorching with the first batch in it. Aluminum, if that makes any difference.

As one of the beta testers, I can say that the dry hopper is a brilliant piece of equipment! It's great in my carboys and dry hopping a US Brown currently (1.75 oz/5 gallon). Prior to using it, I placed in my preferred fermenter, an 8 gallon BrewCraft bucket- the top sits beautifully above the 6 gal mark and I'm certain it will work perfect there too!

Check this out, hot off the uh... seam welder ; )

Very nice - did Chad make that for you? What diameter is it? The bottom lip appears to be made out of perforated SS sheet rather than the solid strip that I have seen pictured in other SS baskets - is there some functional purpose to having the bottom rim formed out of perforated rather than a solid strip?

Most importantly, when is the first run? Very curious to know how well this works for you...

-fafrd

fafrd said:
Very nice - did Chad make that for you? What diameter is it? The bottom lip appears to be made out of perforated SS sheet rather than the solid strip that I have seen pictured in other SS baskets - is there some functional purpose to having the bottom rim formed out of perforated rather than a solid strip?

Most importantly, when is the first run? Very curious to know how well this works for you...

-fafrd

Yep, this was my crazy idea to allow flow through the bottom ring to prevent scorching when the filter rests on the bottom during the boil. This particular filter is 6" diameter x 20" (the height of my 26g kettle) I'm hoping to get a brew in this weekend but SWMBO may have other plans for me!

Yep, this was my crazy idea to allow flow through the bottom ring to prevent scorching when the filter rests on the bottom during the boil. This particular filter is 6" diameter x 20" (the height of my 26g kettle) I'm hoping to get a brew in this weekend but SWMBO may have other plans for me!

Well let us know how it works out. It looks like perforated stainless rim/ring has been covered by the screen (which will create the same barrier to flow as you have going up). In case the design as-is does not allow enough flow, you could probably insert a thin pick/awl to enlarge the screen openings just in fronts of the perforated openings - this would give you more of the benefit you were aiming at by having the larger holes in the rim...

Very interesting experiment - good luck!

...as in resting on the false bottom?

As one of the beta testers, I can say that the dry hopper is a brilliant piece of equipment! It's great in my carboys and dry hopping a US Brown currently (1.75 oz/5 gallon). Prior to using it, I placed in my preferred fermenter, an 8 gallon BrewCraft bucket- the top sits beautifully above the 6 gal mark and I'm certain it will work perfect there too!
i too have a dry-hopper and am quite impressed with it. as usual, solid build and this one has a few interesting innovations...

i will post more about it in the coming days. main point of this post is to let chad know that i received it in perfect condition and that i haven't forgotten about him.

Happy recipient of an Arbor Fab (Chad) false bottom. I needed a custom one to replace a collapsed false bottom in a 50 gallon Glacier Tanks Kettle. Chad doesn't disappoint, this thing weighs over 10 lbs and is made of 1/8" thick stainless.... Thanks Chad! I don't think I'm going to crush this one ; )

image-3699250910.jpg

image-2503624872.jpg

image-1399891629.jpg

Whats the hole diameter? I'm in the process of creating an all grain system out of 15g sankys and the mash tun is next on my list. Curious to know how yours works out...might be time to place another order with Chad!

Excellent craftsmanship! It almost looks as if the bottom of that hop filter is either a short section of perforated tube, or sheet that has been bent in a slip roller. That stuff is really solid, and I bet it adds a lot of rigidity/durability.

I have actually been collecting a lot of the equipment Chad uses to do this stuff (TIG, MIG, machine tools)...just to play around with my own wacky ideas and to feed into my obsession with stainless steel. Still need to get a brake and slip roll....but these things have to happen slowly or SWMBO will be furious.

I'm glad to see that we have a few vendors that are interested in R&D for home brewers...it can be difficult for a fab shop to fill all these unique orders and still keep things affordable. I have a couple cool ideas...but I want to keep them to myself...LOL!

Check this out, hot off the uh... seam welder ; )

That's what I have been looking (and waiting) for. How much did that bad boy cost? It looks awesome, and should fit inside my immersion coils. It looks like it is time to buy.

marshallwms said:
That's what I have been looking (and waiting) for. How much did that bad boy cost? It looks awesome, and should fit inside my immersion coils. It looks like it is time to buy.

I have no idea how it will perform with flow across the bottom. Ideally, the bottom band would be 1" with 1/2" of stainless perf unrestricted to ensure flow of wort through the bottom. I will be testing it out this weekend and will post lots of pics. You'll have to get Chad to quote you as this was a prototype with the perf bottom and he did an amazing job with it!

image-3391090996.jpg

image-561791005.jpg

image-51109633.jpg

image-2960399022.jpg

mattwood2000 said:
Whats the hole diameter? I'm in the process of creating an all grain system out of 15g sankys and the mash tun is next on my list. Curious to know how yours works out...might be time to place another order with Chad!

These are 3/32, you'll probably want to go 1/16. I will definitely let you know how it works out but I can tell you this, I weigh about 275 and stood on this yesterday and it didn't budge.... My old one that came with the tank completely collapsed on one side and that was only with about 120 lbs of grain on it.

So I brewed a pretty big beer today with 7 ounces of pellet hops. I was disappointed to find that I could not use my technique of recirculating through my plate chiller into my spider because the thing was just too clogged by hop bits! As reported before, recirculating through the spider made draining my kettle a breeze as it not only filtered through the hops giving me more potential hop goodness, but it also filtered out break material that tends to clog the screen on my funnel going into the carboy.

I think what I am going to do next it snag one of the carboy dry hop filters from chad and then use it when I am recirculating to catch hot break gunk. Won't be able to recirculate through the hops to get more flavor/aroma, but at least this will eliminate one issue. Works great when I do less hoppy beers, though.

marcb let me know how well the new design drains, as that might also be a way to fix my issue...thanks!

So I was using my 400 stainless spider today with an ipa (6oz) of hops. The darn thing wouldn't drain worth a damn. Ideas?

So I was using my 400 stainless spider today with an ipa (6oz) of hops. The darn thing wouldn't drain worth a damn. Ideas?

So far I've had it get semi clogged up once in a beer that only used 2oz Sorachi Ace, yet 9oz of various other hops didn't clog it. I think it has to do with the specific hops being ground to different levels, though I could be wrong.

Possibly it could be that it should be soaked in oxyclean/pbw after every use and it's getting progressively more clogged up with each brew.

Pretty sure it's the break material, not the hops. I've done better with it since I started waiting until after the hot break to put it in, as another poster suggested.

When I wash it off at the end, that stuff can be coating the bottom and outside.

Back