Sparkling cider vs dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
I planned on making my cider I have going a sparkling cider that will be back sweetend with some red hot candies and a little frozen apple juice concentrate. I just read that if you add the sweeteners later that you cannot carbonate unless you have a keg? Is this true or is there a way around this? I want it a little carbonated not flat or still.

In order to have a back sweetened, sparkling cider you will have to add your sweetener, carbonate to your desired level and then pasteurize. There is a sticky on pasteurization in this forum.

HAREEBROWNBEEST said:
I planned on making my cider I have going a sparkling cider that will be back sweetend with some red hot candies and a little frozen apple juice concentrate. I just read that if you add the sweeteners later that you cannot carbonate unless you have a keg? Is this true or is there a way around this? I want it a little carbonated not flat or still.

Oh and no bottle bombs.

voltin said:
In order to have a back sweetened, sparkling cider you will have to add your sweetener, carbonate to your desired level and then pasteurize. There is a sticky on pasteurization in this forum.

Well... You can also sweeten with a non fermentable sweetener and then bottle prime. I.e. stevia, xylitol, lactose, splenda. The need for pasteurization goes away with this method.

One of my ciders I went with 2tsp stevia for a five gallon batch and primed with a cup of table sugar, and ended up taking 2nd place in a competition.

divi2323 said:
Well... You can also sweeten with a non fermentable sweetener and then bottle prime. I.e. stevia, xylitol, lactose, splenda. The need for pasteurization goes away with this method.

One of my ciders I went with 2tsp stevia for a five gallon batch and primed with a cup of table sugar, and ended up taking 2nd place in a competition.

Oh nice I will try this method. I'm only doing 2.5 gallons so 1 tbs should do and 1/2 cup sugar?

Teaspoon, not tablespoon. The steviol glycosides that I get from my brew shop is super concentrated. 2tsp is almost too much. As the cider ages, the sweetness will come back. My longer aged bottles are almost too sweet for me to drink. Thank God they're almost all done

Back