Xylitol for backsweetening - warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxbob

Reaction score
Just a word of warning for anyone who has considered using Xylitol as a non-fermentible sugar to backsweeten cider before bottle carbonating. It seems to be an attractive option for this purpose - it's a natural product that tastes almost exactly like sugar, and worked well when I used it in my first batch of cider.

However, I made the mistake of ordering it from Amazon, without reading the reviews - many of which referred to the, um, intestinal distress that can occur when you consume this stuff. I've had a few single bottles of the cider with no problem, but last night I drank two bottles for the first time, and can now confirm that those reviews were entirely correct. I won't be using this stuff again.

If anyone wants a nearly full bag of Xylitol, just let me know....

wow- it says as much on the back of a packet of smints, which are almost 90% xylitol, but i never really believed it. still, your cider must taste better than x-lax, never know when you'll need it

Yes, I have had a bad experience with a xylitol sweetened drink... lost a whole night to it! Felt like I had drank a bottle of laxitive... I'd recomend staying away from the stuff!

I read the package before I used it and never had a problem with it in the way you describe!! My only problem with it is the price! I've been using stevia lately but guess what? That list of side effects is growing also!! Oh, and splenda has a chlorine molecule that they dont know what affects it has on the body... So people can pick their poisons that works best for them and not be persuaded from someones first post about their IBS.... I know your just giving a heads up and giving a bag of it away but you do know that apples and alcohol have that effect too... Just sayin....

I read the package before I used it and never had a problem with it in the way you describe!! My only problem with it is the price! I've been using stevia lately but guess what? That list of side affects is growing also!! Oh, and splenda has a chlorine molecule that they dont know what affects it has on the body... So people can pick their poisons that works best for them and not be persuaded from someones first post about their IBS.... I know your just giving a heads up and giving a bag of it away but you do know that apples and alcohol have that affect too... Just sayin....

Just because the molecular structure has a chlorine molecule doesn't mean it's gonna break away and attack your body. lol, It's a very stable chemical structure and we as humans ingest far more hazardous chemicals from tap water like "Trihalomethanes" and such. Besides, we consume Free Available Chlorine from tap water all the time. In those concentrations it doesn't cause negative effects on our bodies, by the time chlorine would cause "mud butt" the smell of chlorine in your water would be cloying and distasteful. But I agree with you people can pick their poisons! :ban:

Woodbury419 said:
Just because the molecular structure has a chlorine molecule doesn't mean it's gonna break away and attack your body. lol, It's a very stable chemical structure and we as humans ingest far more hazardous chemicals from tap water like "Trihalomethanes" and such. Besides, we consume Free Available Chlorine from tap water all the time. In those concentrations it doesn't cause negative effects on our bodies, by the time chlorine would cause "mud butt" the smell of chlorine in your water would be cloying and distasteful. But I agree with you people can pick their poisons! :ban:

Yup :mug:
I just brought it up for comparison that side effects are a part of everything and everyone is not the same :) I used splenda for a couple years but went away from it due to the maltodextrine filler... I really got sick of the thick mouth feel it imparts into my cider and now with stevia I can do 20 gallons for like $8.00...

it's too bad biology is so complicated and stochastic. if everyone had a precise threshold level of xylitol after which the floodgates opened, you could have four pints with your buddy and then send him home with the breathmint that took him over the edge

Xylitol effects folks differently, for sure! I drink the stuff in my coffee every day (because I can't stand the blue stuff and the yellow packets sorta scare me). Some days it's "oh jeebus what the hell did I do to myself?!!!" and other days it's no big deal.

I am going to experiment with back sweetening some cider with it - but I'll keep those bottles for myself and/or only for friends who have experience with xylitol :)

Careful all, xylitol can kill your dog if they injest it. Our vet had us purge our beagle with hydrogen peroxide after it ate half a stick of gum with xylitol. Just a heads up.

From seeing my parents switch over to xylitol, I know that for them, they weened themselves onto it slowly, and had no problems as long as they consumed moderately. Whereas I had a second helping of xylitol-laced dessert and regretted it all night. So, if you're committed to xylitol (diabetic, trying to lose weight, etc.) go slowly. You'll work your way up to two or three ciders. Just warn your drinking buddies that they may need to build up similar tolerances.

... you could have four pints with your buddy and then send him home with the breathmint that took him over the edge

And a bag of Lay's "WOW" brand potato chips with Olestra. (that name was just genius! ... somebody in the Lay's advertising department got promoted on that one)

Four pints, a "wafer thin" mint and a bag of chips ...
there's a Monty Python skit there somewhere.

Back