Little Giant 2 MD, just bought 2 for $55 each

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copster88

Reaction score
post back here after you've used them for a while and have good feedback.

The company lists those as having a temp rating of only 150*F, but I and some other folks suspect they will hold out at higher temps.

I bought the 3-md-hc, but if find myself wanting a 2nd pump, I might go with the 2-md for the second one.

Great deal. I picked up one used for 50 and had to spend themoney to replace the head. Haven't brewed with it yet though

Good find!

The 150 degrees has me skeptical. Strike and sparge water are higher than that. I'm not saying that it won't work, but I'd think that pumping hot wort through a counterflow chiller would prematurely lead to failure.

Baldy_Beer_Brewery, I agree with you and it might lead to premature failure, I relied on the fact about polypropylene from Dynalab Corp on this one, hope that they are somewhat reliable and that I can use the pump at hotter temperatures and less pressure then the given max pressure for the pump. Only time will tell I guess.

when we were discussing the temp ratings on these things, it came down to a matter of pressure and temp, and not just temp. I don't remember who on here said it, but they stated that the temp rating is related to the max psi that the pump can handle. At lower pressures, the temp rating would go up.

For what it's worth, the 3-MD-HC (which is the one that many folks use as a substitute for the march 809) only has a temp rating of 200*F, but folks report absolutely no problems with them after many batches where they pumped boiling liquid through them.

I got one and used it for my first AG brew last weekend. I only ran mash water through it, not post-boil for cooling. I used an immersion chiller. Worked great. But I'll keep an eye on future brews and see how well it works over time.

I am very optimistic that the pump housings will serve you well.

I agree. I think that if you are not massively restricting the flow out of the pump (meaning, you keep the pressure that the pump is fighting to a minimum), these things will probably work fine. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pump strike/sparge water to the MLT or wort to the kettle with one.

I have put about 4 batches through mine. Seems to work pretty well, i still have to bled a little air off when i transfer, but i haven't had any issues with it.

Found one on ebay for $50, should I pull the trigger?

Do these hold up well enough over time? They're safe for boiling water?

Or should I spend the extra and go with a march or 2-HD-??

I use a 2md for recirc. mashing, I do mash out to 165 with it,, around 180 it starts cavitation, I have not seen any damage from over heating the head yet. 6 brews on it..

I just picked up a 3md sc for $38.00 and a 5md-hc for $149.02 off e-bay..
scored on the 5md it retails for 579.00 she had it listed as a Little giant 1/8" pump hehe

So its not great for boiling? Ill just go with a 3-MD-HC I suppose, get the extra temp ability, better safe than sorry, eh?

You can pick up a 3-MD-HC for $210 retail any day... and they are solid pumps for smaller systems.

You can also pick up the 5-MD-HC for $310 retail any day... and they are solid pumps for larger systems.

Be aware that if you have tubing beween the pump and valve, and you shut off that valve, you may want to be careful wil the 5- pumps, I get a little balooning near the fittings with the 3- Little Giant. Id probably opt for some reinforced silicone tubing in that case.

I use a 2md for recirc. mashing, I do mash out to 165 with it,, around 180 it starts cavitation, I have not seen any damage from over heating the head yet. 6 brews on it..

scored on the 5md it retails for 579.00 she had it listed as a Little giant 1/8" pump hehe

Sure you didnt just buy the head for the 5-MD-HC? I am sure you checked, but they are selling the heads for them on Ebay for that price you just listed. They are 1/8 hp pumps

The cavitation issue is not due to the pump. It can happen at elevated temperatures if there is enough restriction on the suction side with any pump. This can be caused by the grain bed if it begins to compact or the if the hoses and fittings create too much reistance. Long hoses, small diameter hoses and fittings can all contribute to the restriction in addition to grain bed compaction. The same could happen regardless of which pump is used. It's usually caused by water vapor bubbles getting into the pump head.

You can pick up a 3-MD-HC for $210 retail any day... and they are solid pumps for smaller systems.

You can also pick up the 5-MD-HC for $310 retail any day... and they are solid pumps for larger systems.

Be aware that if you have tubing beween the pump and valve, and you shut off that valve, you may want to be careful wil the 5- pumps, I get a little balooning near the fittings with the 3- Little Giant. Id probably opt for some reinforced silicone tubing in that case.

Here's a much better price on the 3-MD-HT-SC $153.89 +$9.96 shipping:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/72471/Little_Giant_3-MD-MT-HC_Magnetic_Drive_Pump

Good pump!

The cavitation issue is not due to the pump. It can happen at elevated temperatures if there is enough restriction on the suction side with any pump. This can be caused by the grain bed if it begins to compact or the if the hoses and fittings create too much reistance. Long hoses, small diameter hoses and fittings can all contribute to the restriction in addition to grain bed compaction. The same could happen regardless of which pump is used. It's usually caused by water vapor bubbles getting into the pump head.

Ahhh, ok. Because from what Ive heard and know, the max temp rating is for higher PSI's that these pumps are intended for, so we should be safe. But with the cavitation, I'd hate to burn up some fan blades because Im sending boiling wort through the pump.

Ahhh, ok. Because from what Ive heard and know, the max temp rating is for higher PSI's that these pumps are intended for, so we should be safe. But with the cavitation, I'd hate to burn up some fan blades because Im sending boiling wort through the pump.

Nothing to worry about. I pump near boiling wort and water with the 3-MD-HT-HC regularly and have had no problems at all. The fan (impeller blades) won't melt and neither will the Ryton pump head. The cavitation is always a result of dropping below atmospheric pressure (ie applying suction) when the liquid is at or near boiling. The more suction the lower the boiling point. You can actually get water to "boil" at room temperature if you apply enough suction. I used to pump heated water to my elevated HLT. I would bring it to a boil and start the pump. I could never get the water moving until the temp dropped to about 200F, but I was pumping to up to a 5.5 ft level. Once it dropped to 200F it would take right off and be finished in a couple of minutes. I now heat the water in the HLT with a bucket heater, so no more pumping to that height. Pumping against less head pressure is much easier (ie from the MT to the BK) and can be done just off the boil without problems so long as the grain bed isn't compacted. I do this during the sparge though, so the pumping rate is very, very slow at that stage. The grain bed usually only compacts if you pump at a very high flow rate. During the fly sparge the rate is less than what gravity alone would produce, so there's really no suction applied at all. It's trickier during the circulation stage on my RIMS, but I've got that well under control now. This was not always the case.:D

Mine is different, mine is 1/12hp and 3/4" center inlet and higher flow... two different pumps. Mine is the 3-MD-HC

Yeah, that's a different pump with twice the power. Knowing that makes the price look pretty good. I think that is the one I would buy if I ever get second pump. Right now I have other goodies that come first on my wish list. I only need about another $600 or so. Powerball here I come!

To clarify, the -SC models are NOT Ryton heads... Ryton is the 200F head. These are only found on the -HC pumps.

The -SC pumps are Glass-filled polypropylene, these are the 150F heads.

To clarify, the -SC models are NOT Ryton heads... Ryton is the 200F head. These are only found on the -HC pumps.

I was going to mention that as well, they aren't ryton.

But again, that's 150 at full pressure, correct, not 150 period? I probably wont use this for boiling wort, we'll see, but definitely mash recirculation and HLT -> MLT.

BTW, just got one for 65 shipped on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120570231909

Yeah, that's correct. I can never remember the model number of the one I have, but it's a 3-MD-MT-HC with the Ryton head rated to 200F. I've never been able to completely decipher the Little Giant model numbers. I think MT indicates high temp rated and HC is for highly corrosive materials. The MD obviously indicates magnetic drive. It's all so confusing and beer drinking doesn't help with that at all.:D

I am in the market for 2 pumps in the near future (to be used in a single tier system).

I also had plans on using the same pump to run a simple CIP system, that would be used to rinse my fermenters and clean up my brew pots.

Now with all this info I am left confused on whats the diference between the march 809 and the little giant 3-MD.

I see some people saying that the march pumps are great, other say they are weaker...

I am sorry if I am sounding too noobish, but could any elaborate on the differences pls???

Thank you

3-MD-HC 3/4" center inlet, it is much easier to prime
It is MUCH quieter
It has 3x the flow rate of the March 809

The 809 is a marginal pump, it is the minimum needed to use on a brew stand IMHO. I have owned them both, the 3-MD-HC does not even compare to the March 809

Id never buy another March 809, Id get either the 3-MD-HC or the 5-MD-HC

People who think the March 809 is great, have never used the 3-MD-HC...

I am in the process of designing a single tier brewstand and one of my main concearns is about the pumps. Thats because besides using them for brewing, Id also like to use the brewstand itself as a CIP system, both to clean the brewpots and my fermenters.

Thing is, I am from Brazil, and I would buy those pumps in the US and have them shipped over. So I need to make a wise choice in terms of quality/durability, since I wont have an easy time returning or servicing them if they ever break on me.

I asked today about it on this post. The spray nozzle that guy showed me seemed very interesting, but I am still doubtfull about the pump power needed to deliver a decent spray.

So, from what you mentioned, I suppose that the Little Giant 3-MD-MT-HC would be able to run a simple CIP system like the one I have in mind.

What do you think?

Thanks again for the help, its much appreciated.

Junka

3-MD-HC 3/4" center inlet, it is much easier to prime
It is MUCH quieter
It has 3x the flow rate of the March 809

The 809 is a marginal pump, it is the minimum needed to use on a brew stand IMHO. I have owned them both, the 3-MD-HC does not even compare to the March 809

Id never buy another March 809, Id get either the 3-MD-HC or the 5-MD-HC

People who think the March 809 is great, have never used the 3-MD-HC...

Really? Because I use March, and I have used the LG's for, oh I don't know, about 25 years now. Say, how old are you? :) :)

Please elaborate. I would love another opinion before I make a pump purchase.

Actually, sorry to confuse! Just picking with my friends. It's a March/LG thing! And hopefully they know I am just having fun... :)

If you want a great pump, I don't think you can really go wrong with the LG. Actually with your thoughts on a CIP, you may just want something more powerful than a standard March 809, which is very adequate for the normal brew day, but most of us are not trying to CIP and you may want that extra power for that process... I can't see my March running a CIP head, but man it is great for the normal brewing process for us folks that hang around ten gallon batches. As for CIP, I am not sure you would get a "blast spray" in any case with that nozzle in your other thread, but really as long as you are showering the whole surface with water, it is a matter if time for cleaning.

Back