Did anyone attend the B.U.Z.Z Boneyard Brew-Off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonedef131

Reaction score
Myself and a few other members from my club entered some beers in the competition that was scheduled to take place on this past Saturday. I have checked the site a few times per day but there has been no updates in weeks. If anyone has the results I would love to see if we placed and hear how the event went...if it happened at all :confused:

I also sent in a few entries and I haven't heard anything. I just sent an email off to the organizer to see if and when we could expect to hear results. I'll post if I hear anything.

This is pretty bad, there is really no reason they can't have the results up within a day...it's been 4. This is the worst organization I have encountered in a competition, very doubtful I will be participating in this one next year.

Im fairly new to comps, only started entering them this year, so I dont really know what is acceptable and not. However I can say that the ones Ive entered so far got the results up lickity split.

Im fairly new to comps, only started entering them this year, so I dont really know what is acceptable and not. However I can say that the ones Ive entered so far got the results up lickity split.
Yeah, most of them have results up next day which I am fine with. One I recently entered had them up same day. With the internet it only take a few minuets to get them up, so anything beyond a day or so I find unacceptable. Not all of us are able to attend and we should not be penalized for that, we paid the same entry fees as everyone else. It really takes the fun out of competing when you don't have any way to find out if you placed or not.

Most comps are run by people who are in it for the hobby, not a job. I mean, finding out if you placed isn't life or death and I'm sure you can wait a few days.
If you don't have the 10 min it takes to post the results on the web then you shouldn't be in charge of a competition. People pay money to enter these comps and it is courteous to post results for them in a timely matter.

I was there as a judge. I don't remember the names of the winners off hand.... but they should be mailing you your scoresheets and ribbons. They rarely update their website. You could try emailing the coordinator and just ask him for the results.

I was there as a judge. I don't remember the names of the winners off hand.... but they should be mailing you your scoresheets and ribbons. They rarely update their website. You could try emailing the coordinator and just ask him for the results.
Well at least we know the competition went down! Do you remember what beers got BOS? As noted earlier many of us have emailed the coordinator with no response.

They update their site enough to announce the comp. Now how about announcing the results?

A bunch of us emailed him, nary a response. However, I emailed him before the comp and got a response so I know he is out there in cyberspace somewhere.

Well at least we know the competition went down! Do you remember what beers got BOS? As noted earlier many of us have emailed the coordinator with no response.

BOS went to an Old Ale, 2nd a hefe and 3rd a Kolsch. Although I could be mixing up 2nd and 3rd. I tasted the Kolsch and it was one of those beers that just made you go wow.
I judged the smoked beers, and man there was this rauchbier that was just fantastic. Best I've ever had. I think it got a combined score of 43-44 and made it to some of the last rounds of BOS.

Rarely update the website? Ok, I'm convinced it's a pretty low rent comp then. I take back the defense I provided earlier.

yeah it was probably a tad understaffed. But I thought it went down pretty well. I don't know what's taking so long but I bet you guys can wait another day.

There was some really good beer there. Out of the 2 categories I judged, I only found 2 beers offensive, which is probably better than any other competition I've been to. Most were in the high 20's to low 30's.
All the beers that did not get 1st in their category(go to BOS round) were taken to the after-party and quite of a few of them drank. There was some good stuff in there.

There was some really good beer there. Out of the 2 categories I judged, I only found 2 beers offensive, which is probably better than any other competition I've been to. Most were in the high 20's to low 30's.
All the beers that did not get 1st in their category(go to BOS round) were taken to the after-party and quite of a few of them drank. There was some good stuff in there.
Do you know how many entries there were?

Good work man, I agree that you should post the recipe. Looks like I got a silver in the Scottish Category and my club took home 5 ribbons total. I also entered a Maibock that didn't place, does anyone know what category these would have been judged under? I don't see a bock category.

I cant, Im too embarrassed. The recipe is so simple.

OK, Im mostly an AG brewer these days, but this beer was brewed for/with one of my best buddies. And given the length of time for AG, I have a rule that guest brews are extract or pm only.

6lbs Wheat DME
1lb Wheat malt
1lb Pilsner
1oz Hallertau (3.8% 60m)
WL380 Hefe IV

BTW, congrats to you guys as well! This was a funny turn of events. I really thought my IPA was lights-out. I was so anxious to see the results cuz I thought it was a ringer. Never thought the Hefe would place and not my IPA! Fun stuff.

Nothing to be embarrassed about, you beat all of us! That is the mark of a good brewer, can make a great beer out of extract...it's all about fermentation practices!

Thanks for the update on the Brew Off, looks like my Cider placed. Any idea how many in that category or do you think they'll be posting it? 'grats on all the ribbon winners!

really? you remember having it? Thanks! My buddy left me with 4 bottles (2 for the comp, and 2 for me). I wish I would have saved the 2 for now so I could relish them. He will share with me though, he is a good sport.

Ya the high gravity competition was a lot less formal than the others. The big thing, was does it have lots of alcohol and is it extremely drinkable. (can I sit down and drink this all night aside from being absolutely smashed?)
It was me and 3 other judges that did that while the judges that had categories with 20 entries battled through their flights.
The mead was a really close second to the IIPA and was really good, but yours beat it because the mead had so much residual sugar(a plus for mead imo) we didn't think it was quite as drinkable.

edit: Ah ****, I though I was talking to the other guy on here that won.

Ya after the BOS round was over, a few of us hovering around took what was left of the winning bottles and sampled.

Has anyone received any notice of scorecards? I had a few entries and I was hoping to get some feedback before my next brew session.

I'm wondering the same. Emailed the organizer asking if/when the scoresheets were being mailed with no response.

Nope.

Im going to challenge the validity of this competition yet again. Not only is it taking too long for them to get the results posted and the scoresheets back, but Im questioning just how blind this competition is. The guy who ran the whole thing entered 8 beers and placed 7. Another guy from their club entered 14 and placed 9. Hmmmm.

I was noticing that as well. I mean I understand entering lots of beers from your brew club, but like 26 BUZZ club beers placed. How many did they enter? This was my first competition so I didn't know if it was normal. I mean it's kind of like playing against a stacked deck. It doesn't really seem fair to have the organizer entering so many brews, are there normally rules regarding this? I figured since it was near by and had been going for 15 years, it was well established. I'm glad somebody else thought it was a little weird. But I can't complain too much my cider beat his out. Or is it that their beer is just that good?

Some of the guys in the club are amazing brewers and there were probably as many club entries as there were people not in the club... so. If more people entered from out of town, I would guess more of them would win. The guy that organized it has a hell of a setup and is one hell of a brewer. He basically brews for competitions, if you go search the winners of competitions in the area, I bet you'll find his name a few times.. But trust me, it was blind.

I have no idea about the scoresheets.

His results in the other comps this year weren't any more amazing than other people's. In fact, less amazing than mine. Oh well, Im probably wrong but it is a little suspect.

It would be nice if he could respond to people's emails at the very least.

Back