Using a Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hightest

Reaction score
Recently, I was asked this question via PM;
I haven't searched yet, but I was also wondering if you had any tips/info/pointers about testing gravity w/ a refractometer during fermentation. It would be a lot easier if I could use my refractometer rather than pulling samples every day.
Rather than answer it privately, I felt it might be of general interest to other forum members if the subject was discussed publicly.

So, I added another FAQ that addressed that need, and started this topic should there be a follow-up questions.

Yes, there's a lot of good information in that Wiki version of a 2003 BYO article.

Although the new FAQ's preparation was stimulated by a recent question, its scope was intended to address the more common forum questions I've been asked over the past several years about how a refactometer can be used instead of a hydrometer, what things can go wrong, and where to get one.

Hopefully, the information in the FAQ will have answered the question asked by the HBT forum member. :)

So I got this new toy today http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBL2G0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
When I read about it on HBT I was under the impression I could use it instead of an Hydrometer for gravity readings. Now that I've read a little more it seems it only really works accurately for AG brews during the brew. I'm still on extract for now and I simply wanted an easy cool way of checking my gravity without wasting beer. Did I make the wrong assumption here on buying this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey trizzant, next time you brew, draw one sample after you pitch the yeast, and put it in an empty beer bottle next to your fermenter. then you can use that as your sample every time you want to check gravity

Back