Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
After a false start last weekend on my first AG batch (bad thermometer that was reading 191 on a rolling boil so I never started), I plan to tackle it this weekend with Beirmuncher's Blue Balls Wit. However, my digital thermometer under the stairwell in my basement is reading on average 73 degrees, which is too warm. If I went with the wet towel method over the glass carboy, how low can I expect it to get?

You could try getting a keg tub to put your carboy in and keep if filled with cooled water, maybe adding a little ice every now and then while keeping an eye on the temp.

I dont think 73 is too warm for a wit. I just made up one and started it at 68 and let it ramp up to almost 80. Belgians in my opinion need a higher ferment to get that funk. Of course Jamil disagrees, so I would go with him on ferment temps.

I know JZ wrote a book on brewing beer (I'm still working on mine) but I think wits should be fermented cold. Unlike other Belgian beers the Phenols should be somewhat suppressed so you could taste the other flavors. Use towel method or maybe see if Ender would give you his American Wheat recipe...It's good stuff.

Back